The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Larrivet HB, Bize, Tegernseerhof

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Larrivet HB, Bize, Tegernseerhof

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:46 pm

No wine Monday with scallops. Tuesday was Hmart chicken, trumpet mushrooms with shichimi togarashi, squash with furikake, salad; wine was the 1995 Ch. Larrivet Haut Brion Blanc. Good color, fresh and poxless, figs, lemons, and vanillin oak. A little softer and a little oakier than ideal, but a good tipple and (this bottle at least)not oxidized. B

Wednesday saag paneer (using Chinese mustard greens), cauliflower poriyal, brown basmati with curry leaves. Wine was the 2020 Tegernseerhof Hohereck Gruner Veltliner Smaragd. Good acids, pineapple and guava, a little pepper. OK, but a more tropical profile than my preference, and I liked the Tegernseerhof Riesling more. B-

Last night I made miso black cod (sable), hakurei turnips in citrus/gochugaru glaze, asparagus with miso butter, rice , with the 2008 Bize Marconnets Savigny-les-Beaune 1er. Sappy black and red fruits, tangy acids, excellent length. There a cinnamony spice note as well as a touch of coffee on the finish. Nice showing. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Larrivet HB, Bize, Tegernseerhof

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:52 pm

That Bize sounds lovely.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Oct 20, 2023 1:58 pm

I'm really loving 08 Burgs right now, wish I still had some Bizes in my cellar. That one sounds fabu.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:00 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm really loving 08 Burgs right now...

Glad to hear, that's not a phrase that one has often heard recently. As always, I guess it depends on the specific wine. I've been holding off after some stern experiences, but maybe better luck is in my future.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:26 am

I made a similar comment to a serious wine NY drinker/collector on IG (who I believe may be in one of Dale's tasting groups), and she echoed back the same thing. So there are two of us!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:33 pm

Suzanne?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Diane Kessler. Used to post here as Diane from Long Island.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:34 am

Diane! Nice person! Don't think I've seen since lockdown. She wasn't part of any of my regular groups, but I used to see her a couple times a year. Thanks , good reminder next time looking for someone for a dinner.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:37 am

I'm connected to Diane on IG, but don't think I have seen her since the huge shindig at Bob Ross' house so many years ago.
Decisions are made by those who show up