The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White & A Red Friday for DinDin...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White & A Red Friday for DinDin...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:52 pm

Susan & I tried these two w/ her fabulous Egyptian lentil soup Fri:
1. Bucklin OldHillRanch Mixed Whites/SonomaVlly/SonomaCnty WW (13.8%; 14 Heritage white varieties; 93 cs) Bucklin/Sonoma 2022: Med.light gold color; strong floral/carnations/dandelions some earthy quite old-timey SonomaCnty white rather interesting bit rustic slight Fr.Clombard nose; lightly tart some earthy/rustic rather floral/carnations/dandelions very old-timey complex lovely flavor; very long bit tart/earthy/rustic finish that mirrors the flavor; not a lot of perfumed/high-toned character; reminds a lot of the old GusSebastiani Green Hungarian but more aromatic; lots of very old-timey character. $28.00
2. Ryme PinotNoir LasBrisasVnyd/Carneros/SonomaCnty (13.3%; www.RymeCellars.com) 2021: Fairly light garnet color; really lovely very fragrant/perfumed cherry/Carneros c-c/PN some pencilly/oak some complex nose; lightly tar/tangy very perfumed/cherry/Carneros PN/spicy old-timey bit earthy rather pencilly/bit oakedrather compex light-weight flavor w/ light gentle tannins; very long lightweight finish that mirrors the flavor; a light-weight delicate/elegant very pretty atypical expression of PN. $38.00
1. Some yrs ago, WillBucklin went around to a bunch of the very old SonomaCnty field-blend vnyds and harvested cuttings of many of the white varieties & propagated them onto OldHill. This Mixed Whites is the product of that labor of love. Very small production but always one of my favorite OldHill wines.
2. In an age where getting extract & intensity into your PN, this Ryme represents a throwback to how Pinots used to be made in Calif. It reminded me a lot of FrankMahoney's early CarnerosCreek Pinots but not as much oak & intensity. Quite a pretty expression of PN.
Tom