The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Lunch Bags

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: Lunch Bags

by Paul Winalski » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:23 pm

1989 Pauillac, Chateeau Lynch-Bages

David Bueker's recent review of the '89 Pichon-Lalande prompted me to open a bottle of '89 Lynch-Bages to see how it is getting on. The quick sip that I took just after uncorking the bottle (to make sure the wine wasn't corked or otherwise damaged) was all closed in and grumpy--almost no aroma and lots of acidity. But the wine opened up beautifully after sitting in the glass for almost an hour. The color was a lot darker than I'd expected it to be for a wine 34 years old--quite purple with a bit of brick around the edges. Lovely, complex aromas--mainly blackcurrant and cherry with a hint of pencil--jump out of the glass to greet you. On the palate the wine is in perfect balance and extremely enjoyable. In my experience Lynch-Bages tends to deliver pleasure rather than power and this is a perfect example. It's a total pleasure to drink right now, but I don't think there's any hurry at all. Triple Curly.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: Lunch Bags

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:41 pm

I think a lot of people's favorite LB . Thanks
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:09 pm

When the 1985 Lynch-Bages was released, the early line on it was that it was delicious and forward right now, but probably won't last, so drink it up. Reviewers were saying the same thing 10 years later, and 20 years later.... I had bought a case of it and it always gave pleasure--never went through a dumb or awkward stage.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:20 pm

Sound delicious - sadly I skipped that vintage although I cellar the ones on either side of it.