The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Syrahs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

TN: Syrahs

by Bill Spohn » Fri Oct 13, 2023 2:27 pm

Notes from a blind tasting of syrah based wines:

2019 Dom. des Ouleb Thaleb Syrocco – nice varietal nose, dark wine with a slight jamminess up front, but balanced and with a nice dry finish that belied the jamminess. Founded by Alan Graillot who made syrah in Crozes Hermitage and though that the climate in Morocco was suitable – made within sight of Casablanca? A decent likeable wine.

2009 Domaine Courbis Cornas Champelrose – lighter colour, excellent nose of red fruit and spice, excellent fruit levels on palate, and a lengthy finish.

2009 Craggy Range Syrah Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard – fairly dark colour, a very pretty nose of flowers and dark fruit, and excellent length with a clean finish. Excellent entry from New Zealand.

2014 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie – this wine had a delicate nose of tar with a bit of bacon, was smooth in the mouth and elegant. It seemed to be pretty much fully mature.

2010 Pax Syrah Griffin's Lair – this Sonoma wine atill quite dark, with an interesting nose of sweet fruit with elements of pepper, rubber, and met broth. It was tasty with a nice smooth finish. Fully mature, I think.

2004 Clape Cornas – one of my favourite producers, the wine was showing nice bacon and tar notes and was surprisingly ready with soft tannins and a smooth medium length finish. A bit of a pussycat when one normally expects a lion, but nonetheless a nice bottle.

2021 Clape Côtes du Rhône – pulled out as an extra by one of the attendees just for comparison. It was very nice with a lovely nose of earthy fruit and black pepper but at a ridiculous price (around $75 Can.)

2016 Time & Direction Syrah Solaksen Vineyard – this Columbia valley wine was dark with a slight peppery nose with a possible hint of sulphur, sweet fruit on plate and a medium length finish. Decent

1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve – I had held this one to last as I didn’t anticipate any other Aussie wines. Hearty mint and coconut nose with some spice, I found it interesting and complex but it was not the preferred style of others as they tend to be Eurocentric. Still dark and showing good balance, this was just what it should have been and worked well with cheese.

Penfolds Grandfather Rare Tawny- made from 20 year old shiraz using a solera system, mostly shiraz but also some grenache, mataro and cabernet. Mixed fruitcake nose, and very good length. Not too sweet and nice with cheese.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: TN: Syrahs

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:32 pm

Nice assortment. I still have some of that Griffin's Lair. Should dig one out soon.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:20 pm

Nice..have a Syrah tasting downtown tomorrow night.

2021 Torbreck Woodcutter's Shiraz (Barossa Valley, Australia)
2020 Undurraga T. H. Syrah (Maipo Valley, Chile)
2020 Clos du Soleil Winemaker's Series Syrah (BC - Okanagan, Canada)
2019 Rust en Vrede Estate Vineyards Syrah (Stellenbosch, South Africa)
2021 J.L. Chave Selection Offerus Saint-Joseph (Rhone Valley, France)
2018 Elderton Single Vineyard Command Shiraz (Barossa Valley, Australia)
2021 Stephane Vedeau Cote-Rotie J. Boutin Bonnevaux (Rhone Valley, France)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:46 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Nice assortment. I still have some of that Griffin's Lair. Should dig one out soon.

Need to get my notes up, but will at this moment offer that--based on experience with some older vintages of this wine, like 2004, I think this 2010 (which I brought) has a ways to go yet. Drank well now with a 1-2 hour decant for sure, but it's my opinion that there are days of tertiary splendor to come.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:25 pm

Jenise wrote: there are days of tertiary splendor to come.

Who among us could ask for more...oh, you meant the wine! :D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:25 pm

Brief notes:

2019 Dom. des Ouleb Thaleb Syrocco – Can't add to your notes, it was a very decent, likeable wine. I loved your face when I guessed Morocco on the 3rd try.

2009 Domaine Courbis Cornas Champelrose – Again, what you said: lighter colour, excellent nose of red fruit and spice, excellent fruit levels on palate, and a lengthy finish.

2009 Craggy Range Syrah Le Sol Gimblett Gravels Vineyard – Wouldn't change your notes except to add that I loved this. Interesting to reflect back on the fact that it was the same vintage as the more mature Courbais above. Had some nice secondary development but was still a young wine.

2014 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie – Excellent.

2010 Pax Syrah Griffin's Lair – I brought this; it's one of the more interesting syrahs to come out of California. There was an undeniable sweetness in the fruit, but other than that it was quite traditional. Thought it showed very well.

2004 Clape Cornas – Yes, loved this.

2021 Clape Côtes du Rhône – Agreed.

2016 Time & Direction Syrah Solaksen Vineyard – Another of mine. This did not go in the direction I expected based on another bottle about two years ago, which had a lot of animale. This didn't.

1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve – Dark, sweet and unctious. We've had a number of these from your cellar--when are you going to run out?

Penfolds Grandfather Rare Tawny- fruitcake, date bar, orange rind, caramel. Lovely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:07 pm

Jenise wrote:
1998 Fox Creek Shiraz Reserve – Dark, sweet and unctious. We've had a number of these from your cellar--when are you going to run out?

Used to belong to an Australian wine club. When I tasted the 98 Fox Reserve I immediately bought a case. Down to a half case now. Their JSM is also very good - it is a shiraz, cab, cab franc blend which is why I didn't consider it for the all syrah lunch.

I shall try to choose a bottle for the November blind tasting that you won't be able to guess!