The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 from allover(Bdx, Burg, Rhone, Bekka) @ Balvanera

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1998 from allover(Bdx, Burg, Rhone, Bekka) @ Balvanera

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:46 pm

A small group met at Balvanera Tues, theme was “1998 from Anywhere.” While we gathered we ordered some boquerones, octopus, and bacalau, and enjoyed the NV (I think ‘17 base) Chartogne-Taillet “Heurtebise” Blanc de Blancs. Smoky, with green apple and Bosc pear, orange peel, and an elegant mousse. A-/B+

Once everyone was there we ordered more bacalau, octopus, arancini. Later we got skirt steak, ribeye, fries, carrots, mushrooms. Red wines were blind

1998 # 1 -clearly Burgundy, but I was guessing Volnay. Sweet fruit, lighter body, surprised when heard it’s Gevrey and especially CSJ. Gary says he gets from his wife so I guessed producer, but didn’t really have the big oak signature I’d expect from DL. 1998 Dominique Laurent Clos St Jacques Gevrey Chambertin 1er. B/B+

1998 # 2 -this was my big whiff of the night, I (and others) thought a big Cab based Super T. Black fruit, toasty oak, moderate acids, ok length. 1998 Ch. Pape-Clement B

1998 # 5 (yes, served out of numerical order) - we got Burgundy, but not appellation (I guessed Pommard). Big, powerful, spicy, but balanced and with some elegance, long leathery finish
1998 Meo-Camuzet Corton Clos Rognet A-

Next 2 were tasted together and we got to CdP fast, but struggled on producers.
1998 # 3 -some brett, but within my tolerance, bright with pretty cherry fruit, on lighter weight side of CdP, nice.
1998 Pegau Reservees Chateauneuf-du-Pape B+

1998 # 4 roasted and ponderous, light cheesy note, not a fan. Very disappointed when revealed.
1998 Ch. Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape C+

1998 # 6 was pretty sure mine so no guessing, everyone went to RB Bordeaux, but first guesses were St Emilion (Magdelaine). Chris guessed VCC, so he got Certan right. Lighter than some ‘98 RBs, cassis and cocoa, easy tannins, moderate acids. B+/A-
1998 Ch. Certan de May
(this was my backup bottle, when I double-decanted that afternoon, 1998 L’Evangile was corked)

1998 # 7- slightly lifted nose, I thought of Rioja, but then some barnyard kicked in and I guessed CdP. A bit sharp, but some earth and cigarbox, I liked more than most.
1998 Ch. Musar B/B+

1998 # 8 young, big, tannic, lots of power here but not much charm. Some new oak, I was thinking CaliCab. Oops.
1998 Ch. Leoville Las Cases B-

Fun night with fun group
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 1998 from allover(Bdx, Burg, Rhone, Bekka) @ Balvan

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:06 am

Dale Williams wrote:1998 # 2 -this was my big whiff of the night, I (and others) thought a big Cab based Super T. Black fruit, toasty oak, moderate acids, ok length. 1998 Ch. Pape-Clement

Maybe it was your least accurate guess, but you did get the basic structure right, Cab-based blend!