The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Autumn is the time to drink this wine.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Anderson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:44 am

Autumn is the time to drink this wine.

by Bob Anderson » Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:54 am

2016 Alain Voge Les Bulles D'Alain.
100% Marsanne, traditional method brut nature. Disgorged 2022.
Honey-gold colour with a bit of pale green at the centre.
Good, consistent bead.
It has an interesting nose, starting with quince and then moving through grilled oranges with autumn leaves, some beeswax and, finally, a hint of copper penny. Slight oxidation?
On the palate, it is a nicely structured, mid-scale wine, balanced between dried apricots and leaves with a bit of citrus.
The copper penny comes back a bit on the pleasantly long finish.
Autumn is the perfect time to drink this wine.
My only bottle.
If I could find more, I would buy it.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Autumn is the time to drink this wine.

by Jenise » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:34 am

Bob, I had four of these and I served the last one last month at a blind tasting in Bellingham for non-champagne bubbles. No oxidation present in my bottle. I didn't take notes but your quince, grilled oranges and beeswax ring a bell, though it also sounds like your bottle was a bit further along than mine--it happens. The Dorks were very impressed--not often you can open something THAT good wherein it turns out to be just bout the last grape a bunch of afficionados would ever guess from just about the last location anyone would ever suspect. Who else has had a sparkling white from the Northern Rhone before? Not I!

Btw, I think Bill is interested in rounding up some more (probably a more recent vintage).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:07 am

Newer vintages haven't come in to my source but I can hook you two up with 3 bb each of the 2016 if you like. Or you can arm wrestle for all 6......

I gave a bottle of this to Nadine, the winemaker at Terravista recently, as they have a small plot of Marsanne, and told her that I thought there could well be a demand for a small amount of premium sparkling Marsanne (just like they had syrah ;'experimentally' for several years and sold it only to the faithful - including yours truly). They opened that up recently - I think Jenise got some, but it is still primarily a wine that goes to a regular buying list of people.

I really like this wine and not just because it is a rarity. Great wine to pop at blind tastings - no one expects the Spanish inquisition....I mean Marsanne.
no avatar
User

Bob Anderson

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:44 am

by Bob Anderson » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:57 am

Bill, I was pretty sure this wine had come through you.
The oxidative note was in the background so it added complexity for me.
I'd go for some of a newer vintage for sure.