The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus October 2023 - Benchmarks of Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Wine Focus October 2023 - Benchmarks of Pinot Noir

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:33 pm

Opened a 2019 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Dundee Hills tonight, and was shocked at how bitter it was on the finish. Could not stand more than three sips. I did cork it up to see if 24 hours makes a difference but I am not hopeful.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:02 pm

Here is another PN derived wine from an outlying region, which is an interesting drink but which does nothing yet to challenge the leadership of the Burgundy region. On the showing of its 2014 and 2015 vintages, I did suggest that it might be a reasonable substitute for a lesser but decent villages Burgundy. With climate change more northerly regions, including Normandy and the south of England, could represent the future for PN. However, I am wondering now if I was not unduly influenced in favour of the 2014 by having tasted it from the barrel at the estate in the presence of the very articulate owner, Gérard Samson, who studied law at the Caen university and has a much wider general culture than most vignerons.

2017 Les Arpents du Soleil Pinot Noir Rouge - France, Normandy (28/10/2023)
In respect of the 2014 vintage (and the same applied to 2015), I wrote that this Norman PN could be a good ringer for lesser Burgundy village wine. However, this 2017 is not and nor was the 2016. Indeed I can reproduce quite a lot of my TN on the 2016. Colour was quite pale with some foam on first pour at the rim. The nose was quite expressive in a register of sharpish sour cherry and red currant with at first a hint of an extraneous note reminiscent of wet concrete which disappeared later. Like the colour the palate was lighter than my memory of 2014 and 2015, showed a certain elegance with fresh red berry fruit, decent minerality, fresh acidity, a very slight sensation of prickle and not a lot of backbone. Quite good.

Posted from CellarTracker

Price for 50cl was just under €14, which is much the same as entry level wines from the Chalonnais.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Oct 28, 2023 9:40 pm

Interesting. Knowing absolutely nothing about vintage character in Normandy I will guess that maybe 2014 and 2015 were riper???
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:38 pm

The more I try the more I think that Goodfellow is the benchmark of Oregon Pinot Noir.

• 2018 Goodfellow Family Cellars Pinot Noir Block 8 Fir Crest - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Yamhill-Carlton (10/29/2023)
    Followed over the course of two evenings, this is more powerful than the norm for Goodfellow, yet also maintains the same precise balance as the other Pinot Noirs in the stable. It’s darker and fruitier, but has more structure to keep things in check. One the first night I detected a hint of vanilla, but by the second evening that had receded, replaced by an herbal and pine nuance that brought a savory level to the wine. Wish I had a couple more bottles in the cellar, as age seems necessary to tease out further complexity. Overall very happy with this, and glad to have some recent arrival Fir Crest from a subsequent vintage.
Previous