The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bodega Garzón 2020 Uruguay Tannat Reserva

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

WTN: Bodega Garzón 2020 Uruguay Tannat Reserva

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 22, 2023 2:31 pm

I haven't tried a Tannat from Uruguay for a while because I found them too consistently over-the-top tannic to enjoy fresh and not, for me, worth the effort of setting aside for years for an uncertain future. This one, though, from Uruguay's cool castal Maldonaldo region, is persuasive. Much more enjoyable now, but with the balance and structure that suggests further potential.

Bodega Garzón 2020 Uruguay Tannat Reserva ($17.99)

Bodega Garzón Tannat Reserva is a dark purple wine, almost black in the glass, shading only slightly to a thin garnet edge. A luscious scent of ripe, juicy blackberries shows up first in the aroma, backed by a more subtle hint of kirsch, black-cherry liqueur. It's full-bodied and acidic on the palate, with a delicious flavor reminiscent of fresh blackberry juice but without a hint of sweetness. Hints of granite minerality lurk in the background. Tannat's fabled tannic astringency is certainly present, but the wine's bold but balanced fruit keeps it in check; its time in French oak and its 14% alcohol also stay politely out of the flavor's way. U.S. importer: Pacific Highway Wines & Spirits, American Canyon, Calif. (Sept. 21, 2023)

FOOD MATCH: Beef and venison would be traditional with this big, tannic red; more specific recommendations might include piperrada (spicy Basque ratatouille), spiced beef sausages, and lamb skewers like the Greek souvlaki. We made a simple match with a plant-based pasta made for a tannic red: Spaghetti with roasted mushrooms in a garlicky garden-tomato sauce.

WHEN TO DRINK: It's fine now, but assuming good cellar conditions it should be good for five years or more.

VALUE:
It's a good value at Wine-Searcher.com's $19 average U.S. retail, and you may find it for a few dollars less in some markets.

WEB LINK:
Read about Bodega Garzón on the winery page in English, where you'll find information about the producer and links to their many specific wines.

FIND THIS WINE ONLINE:
Check prices and find vendors for Garzón Tannat Reserva on Wine-Searcher.com.

Follow this Wine-Searcher link to read more about Bodegas Garzón and browse vendors for its wines.

Click here to read Wine-Searcher's report on Uruguay and its wines.

Learn more about the Tannat grape and find listings and vendors for Tannat wines at this Wine-Searcher link.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Bodega Garzón 2020 Uruguay Tannat Reserva

by Bill Spohn » Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:38 pm

I had a bottle of this within the last couple of weeks and I agree - decent wine, very decent price.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:20 pm

Madiran too, from the home of Tannat, has become much more approachable young in the last 10 years or so. One of my regular QPR drinks is Madiran Tradition from Château Viella costing <€6. We are drinking its 2019 nowadays. It is sturdy but supple in its tannins and quite different from a line up of young Montus and Bouscassé which I recall from the 90s and whose then dumb fruit and angular tannins were a severe test for my palate.

Just yesterday, I picked up a bottle of Tannat from Peru. This is an unusual find in a French supermarket and I am curious to find out how it shows.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:31 pm

Tim York wrote:Just yesterday, I picked up a bottle of Tannat from Peru. This is an unusual find in a French supermarket and I am curious to find out how it shows.

Tim, I'll be curious to see your TN!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Robin, I've enjoyed many different wines from this producer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:32 pm

Goodie..here in town $28 Cda.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:03 pm

Here is my TN on Peruvian Tannat. Surprisingly good and only 13.5% alcohol.

2022 Santiago Queirolo Tannat Intipalka Valle Del Sol - Peru, Ica (20/10/2023)
If I had not watched videos about the much praised Central restaurant in Lima, I would not have known that wine is produced in Peru, close to the equator. The back label states that the wine was made in the Ica valley at the foot of the Andes at 500 metres altitude in a desert climate from soils rich in magnesium. The result is astounding, the more so in that the wine is made only 18 months ago from Tannat which used to have a reputation for snail's pace maturing and fierce tannins, though recently I have had Madiran drinking very well at about 3 years old. Colour is quite deep. The nose shows attractive fresh red fruit aromas. These follow through onto the medium++ bodied palate which in addition shows appealing slightly earthy minerality, good acidity and ripe tannins supporting the finish. Blind, I would have thought this a ripe wine of Atlantic character from SW France. I hope the store has more. Good.
Posted from CellarTracker
Tim York
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:19 pm

Interesting report, Tim!