The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

When simple pleasures are good enough

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dan Donahue

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm

IL

Re: When simple pleasures are good enough

by Dan Donahue » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:45 pm

The two most dangerous tribes have been left off your list: the True Believers and the Formites.

True Believers know the truth about wine. They need no imput from seers, they spit others' holy texts, for them variety is the vinegar of life and every other palate is flawed. The strange thing about TB's is that it is a very splintered group and each sect thinks the others are ignorant, cultureless twits.

Formites, on the other hand, are extremely xenophobic. Lovers of wine that dwell in other lands have nothing to offer a Formite and must be mocked at each turn.

As you can imagine, a TB/Formite is a sight to behold.

I hope most of this thread is tongue-in-cheek.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:28 pm

Hope yours is tongue-in-cheek, even though it is accurate ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:49 pm

Hoke wrote:Well, there are different tribal groupings in the winegeek jungle. [deleted} I have seen {And that's only a few of the tribes....

And what group woud a guy belong in who sits at a table with wine drinkers and lovers, and orders a bottle of White Horse (Cal) malvasia to get aquainted over, be? Myself? I say he knows a might good wine when he see it on a restaruant list. But he probably isn't a wine geek of course. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Isaac

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Corvallis, Oregon

by Isaac » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:21 pm

Robin Garr wrote:But ... but ... [ splutter ] ... that's not an accurate description of a wine geek at all! That's a ... points-sheep! Wine geeks ARE passionate about wine. Their geekery stems from their deep and intelligent personal absorption in the topic, not a shallow, slavish imitation of a wine guru. Harrumph!
But... but... he didn't say anything about points, or gurus. Is that somehow implied by single-vineyard domaine?
Previous