The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: GaMay the Fourth - The Thivin Man

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: GaMay the Fourth - The Thivin Man

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:33 pm

• 2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (2/7/2022)
    Sometimes I put a bottle of wine in a difficult situation. This 2019 Thivin was faced with an extra-spicy homemade Chicken Makhani, and some roasted butternut squash and sweet potato with smoked paprika as a side dish. Damn if it didn't step up and socialize with both of them. I think the extra richness/depth of the modern, climate-influenced era helped, as the additional juiciness provided buffering to the spiciness in the chicken, as well as a foil to the smokiness in the paprika. The creaminess of the Makhani sauce melted the little bit of tannin in the wine, making the whole pairing work on every level. I don't think a more classical, higher acid version would have worked as well (though it still would have worked), and even a bit more ripeness in the wine would not have been a problem.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: The Thivin Man

by Rahsaan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:22 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:...Sometimes I put a bottle of wine in a difficult situation. This 2019 Thivin was faced with an extra-spicy homemade Chicken Makhani, and some roasted butternut squash and sweet potato with smoked paprika as a side dish...

That is a difficult situation. Even without the spice, butternut squash and sweet potato can be challenging for wine. Glad that it all worked out so perfectly! (Although presumably you modulated the spice somewhat to fit the wine)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:23 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
David M. Bueker wrote:...Sometimes I put a bottle of wine in a difficult situation. This 2019 Thivin was faced with an extra-spicy homemade Chicken Makhani, and some roasted butternut squash and sweet potato with smoked paprika as a side dish...

That is a difficult situation. Even without the spice, butternut squash and sweet potato can be challenging for wine. Glad that it all worked out so perfectly! (Although presumably you modulated the spice somewhat to fit the wine)

Nope. I did not modulate the spice at all, except for UP! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:57 pm

2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (7/26/2022)
Why didn’t I buy a case (two cases) of this??

See my prior notes. This is just so good every time.
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:20 pm

Thivin has become our house red, both the CdB normale and the Reverdon. It’s better than a house wine, but it’s just so inexpensive and food flexible and tasty we open it a lot.

Good to hear about the 2019, I haven’t tried any Thivin that young yet (but I did score 6 bottles of the 19 Zaccharie at ~50% off from Zachy’s).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Always enjoy Thivin.
I missed original note when posted, that is a tough spot for a wine, glad it worked out
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 08, 2024 8:04 pm

Just had another bottle. Probably 10 or 11 of this wine/vintage. I have to say it’s my favorite Beaujolais of all time.

Gamay the fourth be with you!
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: GaMay the Fourth - The Thivin Man

by Tim York » Fri May 10, 2024 6:58 am

David M. Bueker wrote:[list][*]2019 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Côte de Brouilly (2/7/2022)
Sometimes I put a bottle of wine in a difficult situation. This 2019 Thivin was faced with an extra-spicy homemade Chicken Makhani, and some roasted butternut squash and sweet potato with smoked paprika as a side dish.

I did something similar last week, but inadvertently, with a 1989 Madiran Montus Prestige. Before food, it was very fine in an austere old style Madiran manner. However, when choosing it, I didn't know that the lamb would be basted in honey. This turned the wine into an acidic mess. I think new style Madiran from the '10s would fare somewhat better. I think the modern tendency towards increasing sweetness in "savoury" dishes does no favours to classically styled wines, especially from the Atlantic rim. The crisis in Bordeaux may be partly explained by this.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

Re: WTN: GaMay the Fourth - The Thivin Man

by David M. Bueker » Fri May 10, 2024 2:37 pm

That's one reason I largely avoid "sweet" sauces or glazes - unless it's an integral part of the prep (e.g., my hoisin braised pork).