The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Tasting Champagne and Sparkling wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Tasting Champagne and Sparkling wine

by Maria Samms » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:31 pm

I was wondering...do the same concepts of wine smelling, swirling, tasting, etc. apply to champagne and sparkling wine?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Tasting Champagne and Sparkling wine

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:05 pm

Good one!! Up here in the frozen north, have never swirled, decanted, used a swizzlestick!!! Lumberjacks around here just like alookin` at the bubbles!!
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:55 pm

I try not to swirl bubblies, but sometimes it's a force of habit. Everything else works for me. 8)
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:17 am

Maria Samms wrote:I was wondering...do the same concepts of wine smelling, swirling, tasting, etc. apply to champagne and sparkling wine?

Yes they do, but keep the following points in mind:

Smelling is always the right way to start with any wine, sparkling or still. You have to be careful here. You don't want to get your nose stuck inside a flute, or get it wet by dipping it into one of those older style flat champagne glasses. :o

Swirling sparkling wine can be a bit tricky. Don't even think about swirling with the flat champagne glasses; too messy. Those nice tall flutes don't really allow a lot of swirling action in there, which is probably good ... wouldn't want to lose all the bubbles too quickly. I actually give it a small swirl, because that releases fragrance, which tends to be rather subtle in sparkling wines.

Yes, I also roll sparkling wine around the palate to sample all the tastes, even though it tickles just a bit. Be careful here, because you just might have an accident, if you know what I mean. :roll:

I hope you don't mind the tongue-in-cheek humor here. This was a very good question.

-- Clark