The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: White beats red!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

WTN: White beats red!

by Tom N. » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:25 pm

I know, I know, what is a Noland brother doing saying a white wine is better than a red. Its blasphemy! Please bear with me. There are exceptions to the Noland palate that says reds rule.

White: A beautiful golden yellow color that just lights up the glass. An expressive nose of tropical fruit and floral fragrance. Specifically, lichee nuts, pineapple, and roses. Gorgeous lichee nuts, pineapple, and rose petals on the palate in a wonderful balance with the acidity. Nice long luxurious finish of mouthwatering fruit and acid.

Food matches: Broiled lake trout and Lebanese rice with lentils. Nice with trout but the wine just lights up :D with the spicy rice and lentils.

Red: Deep red of considerable extraction. Nice nose of dark plums and blackberries. One dimensional fruit on the palate and a short finish of fruit. This wine is out of balance with fruit and overly ripe tannins that can barely be detected and definitely lacking in acidity.

Food match: Bistro steak with mustard cream sauce. OK match but sauce out matches the wine a bit. Really probably a better match with the white.

White wine: 2004 Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Alsace 14.5% abv

Red wine: 2002 Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma County 13.5% abv
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.