The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wines of interest

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Wines of interest

by Florida Jim » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:50 pm

Diane made cauliflower soup with truffle oil and toasted gruyere cheese sandwiches for lunch and I opened a 2005 Vatan, Sancerre Clos la Néore, which went very well with the meal. The wine has a reticent nose of grapefruit and cut grass but is more potent in the mouth with similar flavors, good depth, a bright but round delivery and a medium length, peppery finish. This is more delicate and classy than Didier Dageneau’s wines but has the same intensity and concentration; we both enjoyed it. Its 12.5% alcohol, imported by Wine Cellars, Ltd. and about $42, which is beyond my limit for sauvignon, no matter the quality.
For dinner, Diane grilled some wild salmon rare and dressed it with a little pesto and served a side of pasta with pine nuts. Accompanying, the 2000 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Murto Vineyard, was really strong. Lots of bottle bouquet here and a developed and maturing nose and palate with underbrush notes, black fruit, and a brown sugar edge without any of the sweetness of sugar. A fine pairing and a wine that still has a few years to peak but one that is pretty arresting and very complex even now. This carries 13.7% alcohol and sold at release for about $35; more than worth that price considering what else one can buy these days for the same tariff.
We also tried a couple of wines that had been open awhile:
The 2004 Martínsancho, Rueda was a grapefruit bomb on day three with lots of that fruit spread liberally on the nose and palate with good texture, depth and sustain. 13.5% alcohol, imported by Classical Wines and about $16; I’d pay that agin.
The 2001 Giacosa, Nebbilol d’Alba, Valmaggiore on day four was perfect with a dusty nose and plenty of nebbiolo power on the palate. 13% alcohol, imported by Winebow and about $20 on release; I’d buy all I could get at that price.
The 2000 Belle Pente, Pinot Noir Murto Vnyd. was even more open and complex than on day one with lots of earthy, forest scents and flavors and that molasses note on the palate that seems to be its grounding flavor. 13.7% alcohol and better on day two than when first opened.
The 2001 Edmunds St. John, Los Robles Viejos is so much more open and inviting on day three that it barely resembles the wine upon opening; rich, deep and nuanced, this wine will only get better with time in the cellar. 14.2% alcohol and about $25; more than worth the price.
Lastly, the 1990 Sullivan, Cabernet Sauvignon was out of this world. Powerful but balanced throughout, this brings solid fruit, terrific acidity and considerable length to Rutherford Bench Cabernet at 16 years of age. Delightful with aged sheep’s milk cheese and crackers, and damn good on its own. 13.2% alcohol and about $35 on release; I’d buy this again at that price.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Wines of interest

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:29 am

The Belle Pente sounds amazing. I'm going through a cycle now where I rediscovering a love for Pinot that I lost after too many flowery=styled lighter ones. I love the earthy notes you describe here.

I just bought a Sullivan meritage last summer. Sounds like it might be a nice wine to keep for a while. they are very nice people, too, and a beautiful place.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:40 pm

Jim,

I really admire your tasting notes as they say so much in so few words. You also seem to really enjoy the wine food connection, which I am really interested in also. I also like your tastes in wine, especially pinot noir. My only question to you is where do get some of your more unusual wines?Keep up the good notes!
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 pm

Tom N. wrote: My only question to you is where do get some of your more unusual wines?

Chambers Street Wines in NYC is a great source but I also have a Wine Warehouse close to me when I'm in FL and that is also a good source.
When we would go out to eat when I was young, my Dad used to order what he could not pronounce or had never tasted.
I try to keep the same philosophy in a wine store. Although I do a little advanced reading so that I have some idea what I'm looking at. Maybe that's the difference between me and my Dad.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the notes. Steve's wines are very interesting. Just bought another mixed case of stuff and everytime I open a bottle it is good but seems like it will be better even later. Just got some more of the '01 W.F plus some Shadow. Was reading on another forum that the Shadow was great but needed more time. Hard to go wrong with his wines. The '04 Rousanne is one of the more interesting whites I have had recently. Hard to get age on them, guess just need to buy more.
Walt
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:48 am

Walt! Good idea!!!! :D
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

by Florida Jim » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:15 am

Hey Steve, check your e-mail.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan