The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Chidaine and Dalem

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Chidaine and Dalem

by Dale Williams » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:03 pm

Tuesday Betsy made a shrimp/tomato/basil risotto accompanied by broccolli, I opened the 2005 Chidaine Sauvignon (Touraine). I was looking forward to this, as I like Chidaine's Montlouis bottlings, I like the style of many Touraine Sauvignons, and I've been mostly happy with 2005 Loires. Maybe it was that my expectations were too high, but this disappointed a bit. Good acidity, but the white/citrus fruit was somewhat anonymous and even a tad dilute. Just a hint of mineral on the finish. Inoffensive, but didn't seem especially SBish to me. Wednesday started with a 4:30 AM trip to get Betsy to airport, finished when I got home from taking some kids from Minnesota on a Midnight Run, a sip of the Chidaine at 2 AM seemed dilute and oxidized, not drinkable even after a very long day. Not a buy again. C+/B-

With Betsy away for concerts and Dave out with friends, dinner last night was solo. A strip steak, leftover broccolli, beans, and salad; wine was the 1998 Ch. Dalem (Fronsac) from 375 ml. Served a little too cool, but opened as it warmed up. Rather vibrant blackcurrant and plum fruit, seems a little low-acid for my tastes. Not a lot of complexity, tannins mostly resolved, but lively. OK for its cheap price.B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Chidaine and Dalem

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:06 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I opened the 2005 Chidaine Sauvignon (Touraine). I was looking forward to this, as I like Chidaine's Montlouis bottlings, I like the style of many Touraine Sauvignons, and I've been mostly happy with 2005 Loires. Maybe it was that my expectations were too high, but this disappointed a bit.

Expectation might indeed have been too high.

This is a negociant bottling if I'm not mistaken?

Nowhere near the level of artistry of the chenins.