The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:s Sweet and bubbly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

WTN:s Sweet and bubbly

by Daniel K » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:11 pm

A few recent wines

2004 Luigi Righetti Valpolicella Classico Ripasso Campolieti (Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Valpolicella Classico)

Blue red but not a very deep color. Both nose and palate was very muted, with only hints of vanilla and dried fruits. Corked it and decided to use it for cooking the next day if noting good happened. Well it did, much better the 2nd day. Full of vanilla,raisins, prunes and herbs, on the palate lots of chocolate, almost too much. Ok wine for about 10$, but I wouldn't buy again.

1983 Domaine Touchais Anjou Blanc Réserve du Fondateur (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)

2nd wine too Moulin Touchais, bought at the Swedish monopoly 6 months ago for only 125 SEK(about 17$)I'll pay that kind of money any day of the week for a perfectly cellard and fully mature sweet wine.
Deep golden almost amber color with a fully mature scent. Honey, melon, nuts and some mineral on the nose, perhaps some wool. Not as sweet as I thought with some acidity still there. Nicely balanced and of course fully mature, there's no need to analyze this further, just enjoy it.

N.V. Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut Rosé Sauvage (France, Champagne)

Amazingly vibrant and pink color, almost more purple actually. Red berries dominates the nose, my mother said tart cherries and I have to agree. Very pleasant but not as powerful as I thought. The first sensation when drinking is it's dryness, don't get me wrong this is what I hope to find in Champagne, but somehow this is almost to much. Once you get used to the acid you'll find a lot of red fruit and mineral. With few exceptions roséchampagne doesn't appeal to me, at least not when young, somehow they feel disjointed and not quite together. I won't buy this again, but I'll continue to take chances with rosé until I'll find my Graal.
The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN:s Sweet and bubbly

by Rahsaan » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 am

Daniel K wrote:1983 Domaine Touchais Anjou Blanc Réserve du Fondateur (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)
Not as sweet as I thought with some acidity still there..

Name of the game with Touchais, isn't it?

What is Reserve du Fondateur? Never seen that Touchais label before.
no avatar
User

Daniel K

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:24 pm

Sweden

Re: WTN:s Sweet and bubbly

by Daniel K » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Daniel K wrote:1983 Domaine Touchais Anjou Blanc Réserve du Fondateur (France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou)
Not as sweet as I thought with some acidity still there..

Name of the game with Touchais, isn't it?

What is Reserve du Fondateur? Never seen that Touchais label before.

I know very little about this, but I'm waiting for info from the swedish importer.
The play was a great success, but the audience was a disaster