The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bin 386, Magneau, Sterling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Bin 386, Magneau, Sterling

by Jenise » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:06 pm

1996 Penfolds Bin 389
A million years ago on the original Compuserve forum, forumites participated in group aging projects by buying six bottles of a designated wine with a plan to report back on them over the years. Kind of a long term Pal Cal. Toward that end I bought six of these, a wine that knowledgeable Aussie wine followers predicted would rival Grange eventually. Well, the program folded but I didn't: this is the first one I've opened. I'm very surprised by what's in the bottle: jammy black curranty fruit, espresso and strong eucalyptus. Bob liked it, I didn't. It wasn't actually so bad to drink on it's own, but as a food wine (braised beef chunks in broth over sun-dried tomato mashed potatoes) it sucked. Too distracting and demanding.

2005 Chateau Magneau, Graves (white wine)
Paid about $13 for this at a local store the other day just because I'd never seen it before and Bordeauxs of any color are so rare here. Sensationally good: lime and melon augmented by mint and chalky limestone minerality. Not shy on fruit but not shy on structure either. Uncommon quality at under $15. Paired nicely with a starter of foie gras pate.

2003 Sterling Merlot, Napa Valley
Opened about 2:00 in anticipation of being our dinner wine, I was test-driving this one for a California entry in our wine tasting later this month. Good thing, I thought, as the VA whomped me over the head, it needs time to air out. Well time didn't help, the VA was just as evident five hours later. Underneath there was some decent red fruit and a bit too much oak, but in general it was the style of California merlot that made Miles say what he said. I fed some to my red vinegar bottle and the rest to the rhododendrons. Which leads to a mini-rant: why is that over the past 20 years I've been tasting Sterling wines on and off, except for the Three Palms Merlot of the early 90's every single bottle of their wine seems off/bad/wrong/disappointing somehow. I thought I'd heard that Sterling was getting back on track, but this bottle is proof to the contrary.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: 1996 Bin 389

by Charles Weiss » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Jenise,
I bought a bunch of these in 1999 with the intention of drinking 1 a year once they came in range. Sounds familiar? Anyway, brief notes from the first 2 bottles follow. I realized I somehow expected them to age into Bordeaux and was surprised with the intensity that the fruit still has. I still think the best days may be ahead, though it drinks well with steak or such now.
Charles

1996 Penfolds Bin 389 - Australia, South Australia (7/2/2006)
Drinking well now, with tannins softening. Pretty black Aussie fruit kept in balance with plenty of acidity. Start to drink now and over the next 5 years or so.
1996 Penfolds Bin 389 - Australia, South Australia (5/1/2005)
Quite good, in the aussie style. Drink or hold.
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: 1996 Bin 389

by Jenise » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:11 pm

Charles, you and I are probably in the same boat. When it comes to Aussie wines, we would prefer the lesser years to the big years like 96 and 98. Interesting that your notes don't mention the severe eucalyptus flavor (and I love minty, menthol flavors in wine, just not this time) we found in our bottle. Wonder if that's something that will stage out? I've had older 389s that didn't have that quality, and I have no idea if this had it when young or not since I never previewed (big mistake, always meet your children) the wine. I'm sensitive to corkiness, btw, and am sure that wasn't this bottle's issue.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov