The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bud break in the East

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert Jones

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Richmond VA

Bud break in the East

by Robert Jones » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:33 am

It has happened...buds on one of my Concord vines have started to open...fluffy whiteness is emerging from the brown canes.

There has been no winter in Richmond, or in much of the rest of the country...I spoke with someone in Portland ME yesterday, it was 60 degrees there.

Any other vine-growers notice this yet?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Bud break in the East

by Howie Hart » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:54 am

Your post made me run out in the back yard and look at my vines. I checked the Vignoles, Chabourcin, Traminette and Cayuga - no bud break. It has been very mild here also - lows in the 30s and highs around 50 lately. Usually the highs are around 30 and the lows from 5-15 this time of year.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:25 am

I have two potted vines. The Concord looks dormant, if not dead! But below is a picture of my potted Niagara taken this morning.

And now what?
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:55 am

Gary, some will look at that photo and see a bunch of twigs and a few leaves. I see beauty in it. Thanks for posting it!

Now, I know Niagara and that looks like young foliage being pushed out of the main trunk or some of the spurs near the trunk. Looks-a-like she's waking up :!:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:58 am

I've got a fig tree that is supposed to be dormant, but isn't.

This weather is not a good thing. I just told my wife this morning that plants all around our property appear to be confused, and if the weather does happen to shift suddenly to its rightful position, many of those plants will produce nothing in the summer of 2007.

Scary.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:04 pm

A valid fear, Thomas. Even here in CA, I am wary of the early leaf set on my lonely Niagara. One really good frost and ...

Fortunately, with a vineyard of only two vines, it's easy for me to cover them with plastic bags. My dwarf Meyer lemon is doing well, too, but another frost won't hurt it.

Paul, glad to bring a smile to your face.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:43 pm

I am in Southern Maryland a little over an hour's drive from Richmond and just checked my Barbera. No bub break. I do think I have bud swell on many of the vines and with 70 degree weather today I will check again this afternoon.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:02 pm

A friend we gave some of our garlic sets to advised that his had come up and that he had to cover them thickly with mulch. So we checked ours and sure enough they were a couple of inches high, so mulch away we went.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:38 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:A friend we gave some of our garlic sets to advised that his had come up and that he had to cover them thickly with mulch. So we checked ours and sure enough they were a couple of inches high, so mulch away we went.

The mulch will make them grow even more. Better to snip off the green stalks.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Checked my Concord today and thankfully, no budbreak on it. However, the wild rosebushes not far away have already set forth new leaves!! It's totally nuts. I love this weather for driving and getting about, but it just isn't normal for January.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Michael Pronay

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon May 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Vienna, Austria

by Michael Pronay » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:21 am

Can't refer to vines, but the situation is the same over here. Fresh green grass throughout the countryside & in our small garden.
Ceterum censeo corticem esse delendam
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:57 am

Well...bone dry in California (all the rain is going to the Pac. NW) and we had a quite warm weekend, but temps are falling into the low 20s this weekend, according to "Double L" (A very quirky elderly weather caster :)) No precip, or we could see snowfall in the City.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:19 pm

I was forwarded some cold hardiness test results that Tony Wolf did due to the recent warm weather. Using vines in Winchester, they did some testing and seems that most vines could be exposed to about 0F down to a low of -9F for the hardies varieties and still only show 50% bud kill. Chardonnay and Merlot are the highest and most above average but other varieties due not show much different than other years tested. He is stating that from the vineyards that he monitors everything seems dormant and worries are limited.

The details are not with me now but if someone wants me to post the entire text with numbers let me know and I will do so tomorrow night.