The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Favorite Non-Champagne French Fizz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What's your favorite Non-Champagne French Fizz?

Cremant D'Alsace
9%
Cremant De Loire (And other Loire Mousseux)
55%
Cremant De Limoux
No votes
Cremant De Bourgogne
27%
Cremant De Bordeaux
No votes
Cremant De Die (or other Rhone)
No votes
Savoie, Jura, Bugey Mousseux and Petillant
No votes
Gaillac Mousseax (or other Sud Ouest)
No votes
Other (If I left one out, I'm not aware of it- Corsica?)
9%

Total votes : 11
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Favorite Non-Champagne French Fizz

by Bill Hooper » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:53 am

There are some excellent and interesting bubblies produced in France but outside of Champagne. If you're not drinking Champagne, what do you like?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Favorite Non-Champagne French Fizz

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:09 am

Some years ago, I was in Savigny-Les-Beaune and had the great joy of tasting several extremely good sparkling Burgundies made by the traditional Champagne method (whatever they're legally allowed to call itself these days). Same quality as your generic Brut Champagne, but at a fraction of the price. What an eye opener! Best bang-for-the-buck of sparkling wine that I know of.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:40 am

I am a real fan of Maison Vergnes Le Berceau Brut Blanquette de Limoux. It is made primarily from the Mauzac grape and earned its own appellation back in 1990. [Fact courtesy of the Oxford Companion to Wine.]
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:06 am

ClarkDGigHbr wrote:I am a real fan of Maison Vergnes Le Berceau Brut Blanquette de Limoux. It is made primarily from the Mauzac grape

I too like Blanquette de Limoux, and it was a favourite of Thomas Jefferson.

If I'm not drinking Champagne then I'd prefer a fizz that is not trying to be indistinguishable from it, so a sparkler made from Mauzac is a candidate and my choice is from Domaine Rives Blanques -- which is sold at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello.

A most interesting fizz I recently had was another Mauzac but from Gaillac. This was made in an older method that predates methode champenoise. In this wine fermentation is halted before bottling, then letting fermentation continue in the bottle. Unfortunately this leads to sediment and (in this tasting) quite a large bottle variation.

no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:54 am

I just love that Huet Vouvray Petillant
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:12 am

Bill Hooper wrote:There are some excellent and interesting bubblies produced in France but outside of Champagne. If you're not drinking Champagne, what do you like?

Tough question, because most of them are good. Based on my own experience, the decision among Crément de Bourgogne, de la Loire, d'Alsace and Blanquette de Limoux rests pretty much upon which one's in my glass.

I ended up voting for Crémant de la Loire, though, just because swapping in Chenin Blanc makes for a nice variation from Champers; and as Bill notes, Huet's Vouvray Petillant is worthy.

I often think as I drink this stuff that, as much as I love Champagne, the QPR difference between the best Crémants and the run of non-vintage house Champagnes reveals the sad truth that Champagne is generally overpriced.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:33 pm

A cremant de Bourgogne is our house fizz, Louis Bouliot (sic). They make excellent stuff for under $14.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Cremant de Bourgogne is our house fizz, Louis Bouliot (sic). They make excellent stuff for under $14.

James,

If your talking about the Cremant de Bourgogne Rosé Perle d'Aurore by Louis Bouillot, I concur. We had a bottle and liked it so much that I went back and picked up three more. I believe we paid just a hair under $14 for it locally.
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:27 am

Sam Platt wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:Cremant de Bourgogne is our house fizz, Louis Bouliot (sic). They make excellent stuff for under $14.

James,

If your talking about the Cremant de Bourgogne Rosé Perle d'Aurore by Louis Bouillot, I concur. We had a bottle and liked it so much that I went back and picked up three more. I believe we paid just a hair under $14 for it locally.

That's the stuff! We also like the Bland de Noir. It has a nice salmon color to it. There regular bottling at $12 is nice, but we pay the extra two bucks for the good stuff.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.