The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Old wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Old wines

by Peter May » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:26 pm

I met some neighbours while walking today, and they stopped me and (because they'd read about my book in the local newspaper) asked me about keeping wines.

They said they wanted to know how long (unopened) wines and Champagnes would last before 'turning to vinegar', so I talked about aging etc.

Then they told me that they had a lot of wines which they weren't drinking fast enough and so, just before Christmas, they had taken several cases of the 'really old wines' to the council rubbish tip.

"How old were these wines", I asked

They were from the 2002 & 03 vintages.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

Re: Old wines

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 pm

They're right, you know. I'd be happy to take all those old wines off their hands--with a modest transport fee added, of course. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Priceless, Peter. It shows that we may be separated by a common language, but American and British consumers could be joined by ignorance.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:38 pm

Reminds me of the story of my brother's friend, who lives in Maine. They shipped some live lobsters to friends out of state. Several months later, when they never heard anything from them, they called and asked how the lobsters were. The friend replied, "Well, when they arrived, although they were still alive, they had turned greenish brown and weren't red, so we threw them out." :roll: