The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cranberry in WTNs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

Cranberry in WTNs?

by Maria Samms » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:16 pm

I have found that I taste a lot of cranberry in more acidic red wines like Pinot Noir or some Chiantis...but I rarely ever see it in a tasting note. Is my palate not picking up a the correct flavor, maybe like blackberries or raspberries instead?
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: Cranberry in WTNs?

by Oliver McCrum » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:25 pm

Maria,

I find cranberry in Barbera d'Asti; partly the flavor, partly the acidity (which I love).

There is no 'correct' flavor in wine.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:23 pm

What Oliver said.

Cranberry is one of the highlights in the sparkling rose from Gratien & Meyers. I also get it once in a while in a cru Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:55 pm

What Oliver said.

I pick up cranberry in some wines. Mostly Pinot Noir. Also pomegranate.

I think with most of us, our taste impressions are dependent upon the taste repertoire with which we are familiar and comfortable.

The wider our tastes range, and the more adventurous and experienced we are with tastes, the better our repertoire.

Until very recently in this country, cranberry for most people meant that canned jelly stuff you had once a year with turkey and stuffing. Then it meant cranberry juice cocktail. Now it means a lot more than that, as we're seeing more cranberry tastes more often, so we can more readily bring it up on our palate memory chart.

I would say that (and I'm speaking waaaaay generally here) cranberry-ish smells and flavors are more likely in tart and acid-driven wines, much less likely in heavy, full-bodied, and tannic structured wines, or heavily oaky wines. But part of that is likely because cranberry itself is light-bodied, tart and acid driven, so it figures.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:04 pm

I mention cranberries in some Pinot Noir notes and also recently in a note on 2005 Domaine Ott, Les Domaniers de Puit Mouret, Cotes du Provence, a rose' or blush wine.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:13 am

This reminds me of the first organized wine tasting I attended. It was at a bar in Davis called Mansion Cellars back around 1984 or so. The owner of the place put together a merlot tasting that my girlfriend and I went to. Might have been 10 of us there, mostly neophytes. I was very intimidated by all of the descriptors people were using and said little, but I remember one of the attendees mentioning cranberry in one of the wines. The owner's response was, "Wow - that beats my strawberry all to hell!"

One of those odd things that's stuck with me for the last 22 years.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child