The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Boasso Barolo, 89 Luneau Papin, 05 Saumur, NV Margaine Rose, 05 Hofer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

WTN: Boasso Barolo, 89 Luneau Papin, 05 Saumur, NV Margaine Rose, 05 Hofer

by Marc D » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:01 am

2001 Boasso Barolo Serralunga
This was very open and showed amazingly well tonight. A slight balsamic note, pure sour cherry fruit, and some spiciness. Good acidity and correct red color. Some tannins but they are quite ripe and approachable. Decent length. I didn't know what to expect on the modern vs traditional continuum given that this is a de Grazia selection, but I thought this was great for a young Barolo. It went well with some mushroom filled ravioli with a parmesan mushroom sauce. Terrific value. I would buy this again.

2005 Filliatreau Saumur-Champigny La Grande Vignolle
Lots of blackberry leaf smells, good acidity, strong through the mid palate, some iron and rusty minerals, nice ripe tannins. Developed a tobacco spiciness with air. I liked this a lot and will buy a few more. Thanks Dale for the tip.

1989 Luneau-Papin Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine le d'Or
A pure rainwater on rocks fragrance, followed by lemon zest and a sea tang. Just a fantastic aroma. This is developing a slightly more creamy texture than it had 2 years ago, when it was more crystalline. Otherwise it hasn't really budged all that much. Great with mussels cooked in a saffron and leek cream sauce.

N.V. Margaine Champagne Brut Rosé A blend of mostly chardonnay and some pinot noir. Some red fruit / strawberry smells, lively bubbles, and pretty acidic. I think this would benefit from some short term cellaring. I liked the pinot driven character of the Serveaux NV brut rose we drank last week more than the Margaine, but this wasn't bad.

2005 Hofer Grüner Veltliner Trocken
After using a cup of this in the mussel dish, we drank this rest over several days. The first night it showed mostly lemon citrus smells and very acidic, a little too tart to be enjoyable. On day 2 it had a toasty leesy smell, but the palate had settled down and also some minerals made an appearance. Much better. On day 3 the wine was drinking at its best for me, some leesy notes, strong minerals, citrus and still quite fresh. For $9/liter and topped with a crown cap, it is hard to imagine a better value.

Cheers,
Marc
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Boasso Barolo, 89 Luneau Papin, 05 Saumur, NV Margaine Rose, 05 Hofer

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:51 am

Love that Filliatreau, Marc.

Havent heard of Boasso (and can't seem to locate it on de Grazia's website) but there are quite a few reviews out there that echo what you are saying.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Re: WTN: Boasso Barolo, 89 Luneau Papin, 05 Saumur, NV Margaine Rose, 05 Hof

by Bruce K » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:23 am

I would buy this again.

will buy a few more.

Glad to see you've adopted the Florida Jim Rating System®. I should start doing the same myself.

2005 Filliatreau Saumur-Champigny La Grande Vignolle

The only Filliatreau I've found locally (DC area) so far has been their low-end bottling, the Chateau Fouquet, which I like very much and is a terrific value. I'd certainly like to try this wine as well -- did you get it at Chambers Street?

Great notes, as always. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: Boasso Barolo, 89 Luneau Papin, 05 Saumur, NV Margaine Rose, 05 Hof

by Marc D » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:56 am

The Filliatreau Grand Vignnole is at CSW, but it also has arrived here in Seattle (yay). For me Domaine Filliatreau has always been a steady, reliable, very reasonably priced Cab Franc, but I think they hit a home run in 2005 with the GV.

Glad to see you've adopted the Florida Jim Rating System®. I should start doing the same myself.

He's the man.

Havent heard of Boasso (and can't seem to locate it on de Grazia's website) but there are quite a few reviews out there that echo what you are saying.

Bill, I was so pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this. My Italian is almost zero, but from Googling the producer I think their Barolo is done in medium to large new wood and not barriques. I hope someone will chime in here with more info on Boasso. The wine was priced more like a nebbiolo which is a very good thing.
Marc Davis