The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 2004 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:34 pm

2004 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
Thick and concentrated nose but not very expressive. Flavors of crushed raspberries. Slight spice. Very broad over the mouth. Not a lot of character at this stage but you get glimpses of the underlying concentration. The finish is flat. I just lays there. This was drunk “too” young. Should hit a better stride in 18 months or so but still should be drunk on the younger side IMHO. I look forward to the components integrating better. 89 pts

Jason
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: WTN: 2004 Kosta Browne Sonoma Coast

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:36 pm

Jason Hagen wrote:Should hit a better stride in 18 months or so but still should be drunk on the younger side IMHO. I look forward to the components integrating better.

I'm not sure I ever posted my notes, Jason, but this sounds all but identical to my comments upon tasting a young Kosta Browne Pinot at a trade tasting in Louisville last summer. The wine was so awkward and disjointed that it seemed a little odd to be showing it to a crowd of retailers and restaurateurs as potential customers, although the potential was clearly there, and when you're showing new releases, I guess you do what you've got to do.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Well with WS giving it 95 or whatever it was, I guess it is perfect for some peoples palates. I do think it will round out, hence my 89 points. We'll see in 18 months :)

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 pm

Dude... you have been drinking up a storm lately!! A bottle a day, at least...how do you do it?? Are you on a mission?? I"m very very impressed.....

I haven't had the RRV, but my notes on a 375 of the Sonoma Coast note that I found it `unidimensional'. Lorena did not like it at all.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:58 pm

I haven't seen this producer out in my neck of the woods. What is the general street price for this stuff?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I haven't seen this producer out in my neck of the woods. What is the general street price for this stuff?

-Paul W.

:D

Really? No smiley face so I assume that is a real question. These wines sell for between 30 & 54 direct.... of course since Wine Specator has praised them so highly, you better already be on the list. I have been on the list for a few years. This WS has taken them to a new level. The lowest scoring 04 was a 94 or 95. One of the wines recieved a 98.

I do enjoy their wines and they are great guys... would I score their wines that high... um ... no. But GREAT for them :)

Best to find someone who will share their allocation.

BTW I think this wine now sells for about $150.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:16 am

James Dietz wrote:Dude... you have been drinking up a storm lately!! A bottle a day, at least...how do you do it?? Are you on a mission?? I"m very very impressed.....

I haven't had the RRV, but my notes on a 375 of the Sonoma Coast note that I found it `unidimensional'. Lorena did not like it at all.

Yeah..well...always a bottle a night but just been on a posting craze...maybe it was the few days I took off. Back to work now... :cry:

See you tomorrow.

J