The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 01 Arcadian Garys' PN & 02 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Syrah

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

WTN: 01 Arcadian Garys' PN & 02 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Syrah

by Jason Hagen » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:57 pm

2001 Arcadian Pinot Noir (Garys’ Vineyard)
Looking at the wine you can tell it is no longer an infant. Seems like the aromas are switching gears as well. Lots of roses, cherries and strawberries. This still needs airtime. On the palate it again seems like it is a transition phase. Primary flavors are stepping back and earthy animal flavors are appearing. Dare I say that a Pinot Noir from Garys’ Vineyard is quite burgundian. It is not shy on fruit but there are things going on in this wine that I have never got from this vineyard. Very nice but still not a vineyard I would search out. But maybe in a few years this wine will change my mind. 89 pts.

2002 Arcadian Syrah (Sleepy Hollow Vineyard)
This is an amazing Cali syrah. Certainly one of the best I have had. I have been trying to keep my hands of them because I think there is room to grow…but … get in my belly. I think many would find pleasure in this wine because it has California delicious factor but all the earth, touch of smoke and jumping acidity you don’t always find. For me this represents balance. It finishes with tart strawberry. I had this over two days and it changed from day one to day two but I can’t say one day was better than the other. A great Syrah that doesn’t beat you over the head. 92 pts.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 01 Arcadian Garys' PN & 02 Arcadian Sleepy Hollow Syrah

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:33 pm

Aha! This wine got you too! I've so not been a fan of Gary's Vineyard that I finally started outright avoiding the wines, but the 01 Arcadian Gary's really stole my heart.

I've not yet had their Syrah. I tend not to buy syrah unless it's northern Rhone--I don't like that sweetness. I have a short list of three Californians that work for me: Dehlinger, ESJ and Margerum, and I have Copain on deck to try. Sounds like I could add Arcadian to the list, too. Thanks for the note.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:48 pm

Jenise wrote:I've not yet had their Syrah. I tend not to buy syrah unless it's northern Rhone--I don't like that sweetness. I have a short list of three Californians that work for me: Dehlinger, ESJ and Margerum, and I have Copain on deck to try. Sounds like I could add Arcadian to the list, too. Thanks for the note.

I haven't had much Copain Syrah but you should maybe consider this first if you care about price. This was $24. I would say it it is N. Rhone...ish. I think it had more finesse and brightness than the Margerums I have had. And I do like Margerums (in fact my friend sell grapes to him, Alondra de los Prados Vineyard...have you had it?)

I am going to pop a Garys' syrah soon. I'll post notes.

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:13 pm

Understood about price, but little auction shopper that I am I've already purchased two SV Copains for about $25 ea, just haven't tasted either yet (somehow, I always reach for pinot or Bordeaux.) Bright is good. And that's not something I rememberr about the Margerum, I just enjoyed the balance and the not-sweetness. I had it at a tasting of 20 syrahs and it (and the Dehlinger I brought) really stood out from saturated Vodka cocktail California style (worst offendor: Tobin James) that many others brought. I liked the Margerum so much I picked some up at the Wine Cask in Santa Barbara when I was down there in September. I guess the store's involved in that wine somehow? The WC's owner is the winemaker or something?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm

Jenise wrote: The WC's owner is the winemaker or something?

I believe Doug Margerum is WCs owner.

Did you get the Alondra?

Jason
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:22 pm

Dunno re the Alondra, I'll have to go look at the bottle.