The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Video FAQs: How to open a bottle of bubbly

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Wine Video FAQs: How to open a bottle of bubbly

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:47 pm

As you may have noticed, our far-flung, international band of zanies is getting seriously into wine-related multimedia, audio and video too.

Hoping to encourage any of you who have vidcams to get involved, I agreed to produce one despite my fairly total lack of technical or on-camera skills, just to demonstrate that there's no need to achieve perfection before you post.

Accordingly, in what we hope will be the first in a new series of <i>video</i> wine-related Frequently Asked Questions, I demonstrate how to impress and amaze your friends by popping the cork on a bottle of Champagne without spewing the bubbly all over the room. It's easy, once you know the trick.

To view the vid (and, we hope, come back and comment), click to our Wine Video Watch page, find the "<b>VFAQ: How to open a bottle of bubbly</b>" segment (currently at the top of the page), and then click either the orange "WLP Original" button or the thumbnail video screen image to watch yours truly make a fool ou^H^H^H^H^H^H suavely demonstrate how to open a bottle of fizz without letting go of the cork.

We hope you'll see that Randy and I are having so much fun here that you'll all run out and beg, borrow or steal vidcams and start posting wine videos of your own.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Wine Video FAQs: How to open a bottle of bubbly

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:24 pm

"Click for immediate viewing" does not do anything for me Robin. Is there a javascript error perhaps?
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:"Click for immediate viewing" does not do anything for me Robin. Is there a javascript error perhaps?

I don't think so, Neil - yours is the first such issue I've heard, and the vids have been taking loads of hits. It may be that even the streaming video takes some time to start loading before playback can begin? Randy is our tech guy on this and may have more advice when morning Paris time rolls around!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Was that a doggie prowling around in the background...or the wife on all fours!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:01 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Was that a doggie prowling around in the background...or the wife on all fours!!!!!!!

It was a kitty, actually! Sharp eyes, Doris! ;)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Neil Courtney wrote:"Click for immediate viewing" does not do anything for me Robin. Is there a javascript error perhaps?

I don't think so, Neil - yours is the first such issue I've heard, and the vids have been taking loads of hits. It may be that even the streaming video takes some time to start loading before playback can begin? Randy is our tech guy on this and may have more advice when morning Paris time rolls around!

Then mine is the second! :cry: I can click all over your stately image and just get an error message in the message bar. I had to divert! But that's OK. Laely Heron is a lot easier on the eyes than you are. :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Then mine is the second! :cry: I can click all over your stately image and just get an error message in the message bar. I had to divert!

Huh ... we'll have to ask the tech guy about this.

But that's OK. Laely Heron is a lot easier on the eyes than you are. :roll:

I can't quibble with that analysis ...
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:03 pm

Doesn't work for me either - and I use a different computer to Neil.
(by the way, none of your links that say 'click for immediate viewing' work for me, but those that have 'download page' work.)

As I scrolled down the page I wondered who Orson Wells would look like with glasses on. Someone very familiar, I think. Then again, who would Robin Garr look like without glasses. Hmmmm.

Hey, I have a video of Virginie Le Brun sabreing a bottle Virginie 1997. Where would I put this so people can view it.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:23 pm

I can't get to the home page of http://www.brightcove.com which I would imagine is a prerequisite. I checked out the Norton firewall settings and can't see this site mentioned. I don't get an error message, it just does nothing. I have also updated Flash to the latest version (8.0.24.0) available from Adobe.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Man, I thought I had problems!! I clicked on image of the bearded man.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:41 pm

Neil Courtney wrote:I can't get to the home page of http://www.brightcove.com which I would imagine is a prerequisite.

Neil, I just don't know. I hope Randy has some suggestions on this, as I'm clueless about the tech side of it.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:44 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Doesn't work for me either - and I use a different computer to Neil.
(by the way, none of your links that say 'click for immediate viewing' work for me, but those that have 'download page' work.)

That would suggest some issue with the streaming video from Brightcove.com, but again, Sue, we're just going to have to wait for Randy. I'm clue-impaired here.

As I scrolled down the page I wondered who Orson Wells would look like with glasses on. Someone very familiar, I think. Then again, who would Robin Garr look like without glasses. Hmmmm.

Orson had a good 100 pounds on me, though, maybe more ...

Hey, I have a video of Virginie Le Brun sabreing a bottle Virginie 1997. Where would I put this so people can view it.

Is it your own video, Sue? Depending on copyright issues, we should be able to use it, and again, Randy the VidTech guy would be in the best position to advise how to get it online most efficiently. I guess Paris and NZ are pretty much dead opposites in terms of time zones, but he should be along in a few hours. :)
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:07 am

I had no problems seeing it! Bravo!!!

Question.... I am uncoordinated.... usually can only manage keeping the bottle still and twisting the cork with the other hand with a towel. Am I weird?
I feel like I have better control over the situation and less chance of dropping the bottle.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:21 am

Paulo in Philly wrote:Am I weird?

Oh, let's steer clear of labeling people ... :twisted:

I feel like I have better control over the situation and less chance of dropping the bottle.

Paulo, like all wine rules, you should modify this one for your comfort. The key to hanging on to the cork, really, is to twist slowly while holding firmly, and let some of the pent-up CO2 hiss out rather than blasting the cork out. I find this method works best, and I think the laws of physics are involved: By turning the bottle, which is larger, you get more leverage than when you turn the much smaller cork. But whatever works for you ...
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:56 am

Memo from the Desk of the Relentlessly Correct Sommelier:

Ahem. The cork is not supposed to "pop." It is supposed to sigh.

The cat is great. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Dave Erickson wrote:Memo from the Desk of the Relentlessly Correct Sommelier:

Ahem. The cork is not supposed to "pop." It is supposed to sigh.

The cat is great. :D

I love the cat! As for the sigh, I've never really signed on to that particular piece of mythology. A little "pop" is festive. The key for me is that you don't let the thing shoot out and squirt pricey bubbly all over the dining room table.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:Hey, I have a video of Virginie Le Brun sabreing a bottle Virginie 1997. Where would I put this so people can view it.

Is it your own video, Sue? Depending on copyright issues, we should be able to use it, and again, Randy the VidTech guy would be in the best position to advise how to get it online most efficiently. I guess Paris and NZ are pretty much dead opposites in terms of time zones, but he should be along in a few hours. :)

Yes, my own video.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Randy R wrote:

Neil,

Please try clicking on the HELP button at the top right of the lmist and also the WLP Original button. If nothing happens on HELP, it may be a setting regarding popups.
Code: Select all
<rant>
Popups are great, too bad they were hijacked long ago by ads and now legit ones sometimes have trouble opening. Make sure any blockers are off.
</rant>

OTH, if you can't reach http://www.brightcove.com I can't imagine what the problem is, but it is definitely local to you and shared by anyone else having this symptom. Brightcove is a worldwide server farm over which we don't have any control. This said I've never seen them to be offline.

In fact you can (if you take my word for it) safely close all windows except one browser window, turn off your firewall or blocking software for one click to attempt to reach brightcove. If nothing happens, put the software back on immediately. If it works, you'll know where the problem is coming from.

I of course can't speak for every PC installation in the world, but I test these things on the following:

- At least two internet connections in two physical locations
- At least 3 PC and one Mac in two locations
- At least two recent browsers on each (well, ok, I don't use Safari, but heck...)

My own settings on the PC are pretty draconian, and I run Kerio personal firewall on both my main ones.

Not Neil - he's down the paddock scrubbing thsitles before the day gets too hot (Yay! Summer has finally arrived)

1. http://www.brightcove.com still results in Page Not found.
2. I use Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106 da-de-da-de-dah
3. As I hover over 'WLP Original' a comment in the status bar has "Shortcut to javascript:void(0);"
4. When I click on 'WLP Original' a new window opens with the following displayed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The settings should match those provided by your local area network (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
If your Network Administrator has enabled it, Microsoft Windows can examine your network and automatically discover network connection settings.
If you would like Windows to try and discover them,
click Detect Network Settings
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer

There is no navigation bar in the new window, so only by looking at the source code could I see where it was trying to navigate to.

5. The firewall is built into the modem (I think, Neil can confirm this when finished in the paddock)
6. Neil uses Firefox on another computer.
7. It is not a problem regarding pop-ups, as the Help displays OK.

BTW - I googled Brightcove.com and found many links, and none of them worked - so it is obviously a problem with that page serving here.

Frustrating!!!!!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:02 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Yes, my own video.

Excellent! I think Randy got focused on the connection issue and didn't see this, Sue ... I'll point it out to him. We're very definitely interested in original wine videos, and obviously there's a lot of interest in sabering. ("Sabreing"?)

The problem with uploads, of course, is that they are very large ... I've been learning to convert vids to *.flv (flash) format, which seems to be most efficient for E-mail or uploading. What format is yours in and what size is it? Or is it digital or on tape?
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:Yes, my own video.

Excellent! I think Randy got focused on the connection issue and didn't see this, Sue ... I'll point it out to him. We're very definitely interested in original wine videos, and obviously there's a lot of interest in sabering. ("Sabreing"?)

The problem with uploads, of course, is that they are very large ... I've been learning to convert vids to *.flv (flash) format, which seems to be most efficient for E-mail or uploading. What format is yours in and what size is it? Or is it digital or on tape?

Digital. We will edit it and add some titles. Virginie Le Brun is the daughter of Daniel Le Brun - formerly of Cellier Le Brun and now of No. 1 Family Estate - and who consistently makes this country's best bubbles, in my opinion.

Sabre/saber ... theatre/theater ... centre/center - we are all not totally americanised yet. :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:20 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:Digital. We will edit it and add some titles.

Excellent! We'd love to have it, Sue.

Sabre/saber ... theatre/theater ... centre/center - we are all not totally americanised yet. :wink:

So soon we forget that the forms we use are actually conservative British English of the 16th Century that came over on the Mayflower and stayed. The forms that the Kiwis, Aussies, Brits and Canadians use, by and large, were neologisms imposed by Dr. Johnson a couple of hundred years later. :roll:
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:32 pm

Hey - whaddyaknow - suddenly it works. Pop! Must have been a problem with the host server serving to this part of the world.

So opening a bottle of bubbles is a bit like opening a screwcapped wine without the pop. Hold the cap and twist the bottle.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:So opening a bottle of bubbles is a bit like opening a screwcapped wine without the pop. Hold the cap and twist the bottle.

I think the same lever principle applies in both instances, Sue: By turning the larger-diameter portion, one gains a physical advantage.

I'm sure I wasn't the first person to come up with the idea, but I independently thought of the turn-bottle technique for the screwcap based upon the Champagne model.
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, New Zealand

by Neil Courtney » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:51 pm

Back from the paddock now, and Sue cooked a nice mushroom omelet for breakfast. Getting hot outside.

I run a laptop with Win XP Home, SP2, Sue runs a desktop with Win XP Home SP1. I tried Fire Fox 2.0 and IE 7.0.5730.11 and both gave me a new blank pop-up screen in FF, or a blank new tab in IE. My normal browser is Maxthon 1.5.9, which uses IE in the background as I understand it. This did nothing at all.

I read a couple of threads on another forum, answered one, then came back to WLDG and tried again. Voilà, everything now works as it should, on both computers and all browsers that we use. We have not touched any firewall setting, on the modem or software (Norton Internet Security in my case). I can still not get to the http://www.brightcove.com front page, but that is of no real consequence now.

BTW, and OT, does anyone have any opinion on upgrading XP Home SP1 to SP2? I have resited doing this due to some of the horror stories that were around in the early days of SP2. Is it worth the effort? There seems to be a lot of newer software being produced now that needs SP2, such as MS Windows Media Player 11.
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

Next