The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: New Year's Day, w/Nebbiolo, Riesling, GV, and Rueda?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: New Year's Day, w/Nebbiolo, Riesling, GV, and Rueda?

by Dale Williams » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:19 pm

New Year's Day I spent a lazy morning, had the traditional Southern blackeyed peas and greens for lunch, and then in afternoon I went to pick up David and his girlfriend at Newark as they came back from Denmark. Later, I went to a New Year's open house, with a pretty good potluck spread and a few wines to sample:

2005 Las Brisas (pretty sure this was Rueda).
Light, citrus and melon fruit, good acidity, a bit short. OK as an apertif,a little light to stand up to some of the food. B/B-

2005 Loimer "Lois" Grüner Veltliner (Kamptal)
I've never been very happy with this low-end bottling before, but this one isn't bad for the $8 tag. Not especially varietally correct, but a nice lightweight wine with white peach and nectarine fruit and just a hint of spritz. Probably better for a summer picnic than a winter party, but I liked. B

2004 Produttori del Barbaresco Nebbiolo (Langhe)
Clean cherry fruit accented by flowers, not exceedingly complex but nice lighter-styled Nebbiolo. B

2004 Eugen Muller Forster Mariengarten Kabinett

Good acidity, lime and tropical fruit, some floral notes. More floral than mineral, but nice. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

no avatar
User

Victor de la Serna

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:50 pm

Madrid, Spain

Re: WTN: New Year's Day, w/Nebbiolo, Riesling, GV, and Rueda?

by Victor de la Serna » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:24 am

Las Brisas is indeed the entry-level wine from Viña Sila - for some more substantial Rueda, try Naia or the oak-fermented Naiades, which are pretty good!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: New Year's Day, w/Nebbiolo, Riesling, GV, and Rueda?

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:27 am

Victor de la Serna wrote: try Naia
I was pretty put off with the '03 Naia, Victor, but the 2004 was really fresh and alive. Good stuff.