The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Hi all...Newbie here.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

Re: Hi all...Newbie here.

by AaronW » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Maria Samms wrote:Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking around here for awhile, but have been too shy to post. You seem like very knowledgeable and friendly group, and I hope you don't mind me joining.

I have been drinking wine for several years but I only just started to learn about and appreciate it. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome to the forum, Maria!
You hope we don't MIND you joining!?
JOIN ON!! POST ON!! READ ON!!
This is probably THE most informative wine related weblog/forum in the world! IMHO
Well you've broken the ice, so there should certainly be no fear holding you back now, right? This is truly a great place to communicate personal expressions and experiences relative to wine, food, and even life in general. Looking forward to to reading YOURS,
Aaron
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:06 pm

Covert wrote: I'm like Diogenes when it comes to American reds. Still looking for an honest one, unless simplicity is the only honesty any of them know.

Covert, for a long time now I had read and agreed with most of your posts. but with this I have to take exception. If this is true, then I have to believe you have not tried and ESJ syrah, nor a Qupe syrah, nor a Stone Wolf pinot gris, or pinot. One must not wrap ones self in such a Franco coat that one can not appreciate wines from another continent or or even one country on another continent. I know you love your Bdx and I can not fault that, but I find fault with the statement that says no American winery makes an honest wine, red or otherwise
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Sam Platt

Rank

I am Sam, Sam I am

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:22 pm

Indiana, USA

by Sam Platt » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 am

Maria Samms wrote:I had my first Burgundy (I haven't had US Pinot Noir yet) and I thought it was ok...very acidic, but it did go nicely with dinner.

Welcome Maria,

Burgundy is a cruel mistress with expensive tastes. I would cut her a wide swath until you are able to develop lasting relationships with less fickle wines. As far as American Pinots go Argyle (particularly Nuthouse), Au Bon Climat, and Orogeny are three of my favorite, more reasonably priced bottles. The Jadot Bourgogne is our regular drinking French Pinot.

Good Luck,
Sam

"The biggest problem most people have is that they think they shouldn't have any." - Tony Robbins
Previous