Benefits of a cellar reorganization

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

Benefits of a cellar reorganization

Postby Redwinger » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:22 pm

My cellar has never, ever had any sort of organization. Stuff thrown haphazardly onto the racks and diamond bins...find a spot and make them fit. When the racks are full just stack the cardboard cases anywhere. I pride myself on almost perfect recall, but this mess in the cellar combined with that dreaded age factor brought me to the conclusion that it was time to start sorting this stuff out. Well the new year seemed like a perfect time to start this project.

I only got about 10% of the way through the project today, but already uncovered 2 bottles of 1996 Jamet Cote Rote and a single botttle of 1996 Chave Hermitage that I had absolutely no idea I owned. Almost makes me want to get going on the other 90% down there, since acid driven Northern Rhones suit me just fine.

Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Re: Benefits of a cellar reorganization

Postby Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:44 pm

Redwinger wrote:My cellar has never, ever had any sort of organization. Stuff thrown haphazardly onto the racks and diamond bins...find a spot and make them fit. When the racks are full just stack the cardboard cases anywhere. I pride myself on almost perfect recall, but this mess in the cellar combined with that dreaded age factor brought me to the conclusion that it was time to start sorting this stuff out. Well the new year seemed like a perfect time to start this project.

Bill, are you sure you haven't been in my cellar? Except of course there are no Cote Roti , nor Hermitage.
Bob Henrick
Bob Henrick
Kamado Kommander

Postby Mark S » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Ahh, the rewards of cleaning! If only gems like these could be found during vacumming the carpet or finding space in the garage...
Mark S
Wine guru

Postby AlexR » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:38 pm

Redwinger,

I'm with you.
No neat, computerized list for me.
The bottles are stacked haphazardly.
I just LOVE making discoveries too.

Best regards,
Alex R.
AlexR
Wine guru

Postby Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Last time I reorganized I couldnt find a couple of bottles that I thought I had!
Bill Buitenhuys
Wine guru

Postby Carl Eppig » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:12 pm

Don't touch those Rhones for at least five years if not ten.
Carl Eppig
Our Maine man

Postby Redwinger » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:35 pm

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:Don't touch those Rhones for at least five years if not ten.

No sweat. I'll probably "lose" them again anyhow.
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
Redwinger
Wine guru

Postby Brian K Miller » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:56 pm

I used to keep track pretty well, now things are hidden in wooden and cardboard boxes. I have wine scattered around my house (closet, garage, a small wine refrigerator, and a locker in Napa). That's ok now, as I hate overheated interiors during winter and I rarely run my heat, so my townhouse is reasonably close to correct wine storage temperature for the next couple of months. I gotta solve my problem before Spring, though. Maybe a serious wine cellar.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
Brian K Miller
Passionate Arboisphile

Postby François Audouze » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:04 pm

I am in the same situation : I do not know what is in my cellar.
It has advantages and disadvantages.
One advantage is when people ask me if I could "exceptionnally" sell them a bottle of the year of a close parent. As they know that I have certainly a bottle, I am so happy to say : "I have certainly many, but I would be unable to find one".
The disadvantage is when I want for myself to find a specific bottle. Then there is a problem.
But anyway, I know many of them, so I am pleased to wander in my cellar and see some treasures that I will drink one day.
I prefer to have nice surprises as some of you mentionned.
Old wines are younger than what is generally considered
François Audouze
Ultra geek

Return to The Wine Forum