The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel - No Gobs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel - No Gobs

by Redwinger » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:58 am

2001 Nalle Zinfandel, Sonoma Dry Creek Valley (13.5%)
That's right boys and girls, no gobs of anything. Gobs of oak, gobs of alcohol, gobs of flabby fruit are all missing from this wine. So if you relish gobs in your wine leave this one alone..step lively to your left or right depending upon your politics.
Just when I think this wine can't improve (Here's my note from earlier this year) I open another bottle and proven wrong. The wine is beautifully balanced, plenty of acidity to make this a Zinfandel you can drink with a meal, briary stuff and the touch of earthy Rhoneyness I reported on previously was even more pronounced in this bottle. It's a damn shame I only have one left in the cellar.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: 2001 Nalle Zinfandel - No Gobs

by Carl Eppig » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Sure glad to hear that he's not going along with the crowd. Have always enjoyed his wines, and hope to do so again soon.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks, Bill. Nalle Zin is one I haven't tracked down yet but is on my ToDo list for '07.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:19 pm

13.5% ABV for Zinfandel? That's scandalous! :lol: I need to find this one.

(I am loloking forward to a Mount Veeder "Sky" and a Mendocino "Steele" Zin in the same range.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:31 pm

Bill, Nalle is one of my favorite Zinfandel. I think of it as a claret style of zin, it is a style that offers more finesse, and not just high alcohol and power. Yet, it retains the (as you put it) the briary wild berry flavors. I like it too that they have resisted the trend to port like levels of alcohol. Yummy stuff. All this though is not to say that I will pass on a pour of Mr Ridge.
Bob Henrick