The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Thomas Jefferson, the wine geek...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Thomas Jefferson, the wine geek...

by Covert » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 pm

The new ‘Thomas Jefferson on Wine’ (Hailman) is a fun read. Most of us probably know of his wine leanings, but reading a lot of detail is interesting. F. Scott Fitzgerald said something like ‘sometimes it is best to view somebody through a single window,’ which is kind of how the guy’s whole life comes into sharp focus when viewed exclusively through his intense wine interest. His reflections on living in Paris read a lot like Hemingway’s ‘A movable Feast.’

Jefferson, Franklin, Washington, Adams, they were all wine geeks. John Hancock was a wine importer. The reason he joined the Revolution was to beat taxes on wine. When America won, he still cheated the government, and John Adams had to bail him out.

Jefferson was definitely interested in democracy; even though he was a bit of a wine elitist – and seemed to care more about food and wine than politics. He probably would have still joined the Revolution even if Benedict Arnold hadn’t wrecked his wine cellar. I got the sense that he was asked to write the Declaration of Independence because he was so fluent with words, possibly honed by his copious notes on wine.

His favorite wine was Obrien. I opened a 1997 Haut Brion while reading the book. I didn’t like it as well as Pape Clement from the same year; even though I think it is technically a better wine. Jenise would like the first growth’s elegant minerality. I was looking for more earth and tobacco. I think there is much less difference between a first growth and a ‘lesser’ classification than there was in Jefferson’s time.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: Thomas Jefferson, the wine geek...

by Thomas » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:39 am

Covert,

Does Hailman mention the Madeira tax revolt at Boston harbor that took place about a decade before the Tea Party? It was Hancock's shipment of wine.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:03 pm

Hancock would let them throw tea into the harbor, (as long as it wasn't his) but there was no way they were throwing Madiera into the harbor!
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:23 pm

I'll have to check next weekend, since I left the book at our mountain camp. But Medeira was the chief wine import, so I think, yes. That's what Hancock would have importing, mostly. Jefferson didn't discover Bordeaux before he was Minister to France, after the Revolution.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:15 pm

Covert wrote:I'll have to check next weekend, since I left the book at our mountain camp. But Medeira was the chief wine import, so I think, yes. That's what Hancock would have importing, mostly. Jefferson didn't discover Bordeaux before he was Minister to France, after the Revolution.

Madeira was supposedly untaxed in the colonies. The story I uncovered is that a British customs agent tried to slap a duty on an incoming Madeira shipment on Hancock's ship named Liberty. A mini-riot ensued at the harbor and the British agents were forced to back off.
Thomas P