The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Delta Vineyard Marlborough Pinot Noir 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

WTN: Delta Vineyard Marlborough Pinot Noir 2005

by Bill Hooper » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:49 pm

This is certainly the first 'Down Under' TN I've ever posted. I feel kinda naughty. I usually hate NZ Pinot Noir. I find it thin, boring, fruity above all else, and obnoxiously one dimensional. This is good though. Raspberry liqueur fruit, blackberries, hickory, brown spice, and earth by the handful followed by dare I say backbone? It's still a little on the candy side, but it's a definite step in the right direction. I'd like to check it out in a few years. 13.9% Alc. $20

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Delta Vineyard Marlborough Pinot Noir 2005

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:20 am

Thanks for the note. I've not been impressed by the few New Zealand Pinots I've tried, but I would like to try this one!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

by John F » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:54 am

I have really grown to enjoy the NZ pinots since I moved to Japan

Check out Seresin (they also make a very good SB)
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:37 pm

Bill Hooper wrote:This is certainly the first 'Down Under' TN I've ever posted. I feel kinda naughty. I usually hate NZ Pinot Noir. I find it thin, boring, fruity above all else, and obnoxiously one dimensional. This is good though. Raspberry liqueur fruit, blackberries, hickory, brown spice, and earth by the handful followed by dare I say backbone? It's still a little on the candy side, but it's a definite step in the right direction. I'd like to check it out in a few years. 13.9% Alc. $20

Prost!
Bill

Hey Bill, this is one delicious wine. I also recommend you to seek out the Delta Vineyard Hatter's Hill Pinot Noir 2005, which is probably a few dollars more. I think it will have a bit more longevity than the Delta Marlborough, as the Delta Marlborough is just so drinkable, it's hard to resist. The Hatter's Hill is a little tighter in structure and less of that 'candy'.
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:52 pm

Hi Bill,

I tried the 2004 Delta earlier this year, and I really liked it. In fact, I went back and bought more :) . I drink quite a few NZ pinots and this is definitely one of the best. My main problem with most of them is that they tend to be short on the finish. As a matter of fact, we had a Spy Valley 2005 NZ pinot tonight for dinner. Nice classic cherry earth nose, good fruit on the palate but a short finish. I liked it, but would probably not buy it again.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.