The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '05 La Sirena Moscato Azul

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

WTN: '05 La Sirena Moscato Azul

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:44 pm

A friend brought a bottle of this over last night. It was one of several bottles opened over a supper of wild duck that same friend had shot a couple of days before.

The wine was a very pale yellow with a reticent nose of muscatty floral smells. Flavor-wise, this was probably the most austere California muscat I've ever had. Bone-dry, with sharp acidity and a chalky finish. The typical muscat flavor profile is there, but it's more of an accent than a major player. Not at all like the typical California muscats and something of a surprise to me. Pretty good, though, and still good on day 2.

I found this to be a pretty interesting wine, so I looked it up on the La Sirena website. It's 100% muscat canelli from Calistoga, no oak, 13.5% alcohol, 0.6% R.S. (so not quite bone dry), 460 cases made. It's promoted as a light sipper for before dinner and such, but it seems tart enough to me that it might put off a lot of typical American white wine consumers. Then again, with only 460 cases produced, it's doubtful that much of it ended up in the hands of typical American white wine consumers.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

Re: WTN: '05 La Sirena Moscato Azul

by Oliver McCrum » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:39 pm

Mike,

I love dry Muscat. There are some excellent dry Yellow Muscats made in northern Italy and in Austria, and Ramsay in CA made a very nice one recently. Great dry aperitif, or with salami and olives before dinner.

Didn't know that Canelli was good dry, though.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines