The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

New Year's Eve/Day Celebration, Beverages of Choice?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

New Year's Eve/Day Celebration, Beverages of Choice?

by AaronW » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:31 pm

For me, as a tradition, I have a version of a "Highball" cocktail that I like to serve for the New Year's Eve party. I haven't really studied to find what's in a Traditional or Original "Highball", but mine is a concoction of FRESH lemon juice, FRESH lime juice, Tom Collins mixer, Sprite, Vodka, Grapefruit soda (original Squirt), with lemon & lime wedges mixed right in with and a Maraschino cherry for a garnish.

In addition, this year I'm serving some bubbly that I've had hangin' around:

Segura Viudas CAVA Brut Reserva

Domaine Ste. Michelle Blanc de Blancs

Great bargain bubblies for celebrating without skimping on quality.

Have a happy New Year, everyone in ForumLand, looking forward to another year of great tastes in gastronomical and oenological discovery, oh, and of course, great reading from the WLDG!
"Wine can of their wits the wise beguile;
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile."

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: New Year's Eve/Day Celebration, Beverages of Choice?

by Howie Hart » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:23 pm

I'll be having a bit of my home made bubbly and may make a batch of Chef Carey's eggnog.
BTW - As a one-time bartender, a "Highball" is simply whiskey with ginger ale. I don't know if there is a name for what you mix up, but it almost seems like a whiskey sour with vodka instead of whiskey.
Happy New Year!
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:56 pm

Your cocktail sounds good Aaron. I like to open a Port New Year's Eve and continue sipping on New Year's Day. This year it may be a PENFOLD'S GRANDFATHER "PORT" from Australia. Usually it is COCKBURN TEN-YEAR TAWNY PORT.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:41 pm

I will be drinking champagne, although I may start with some cremant or other sparkling wine. One suspects a Central Coast red will find it's way into the line-up as my friends hosting their annual party are big on the Central Coast. I have hooked them up on some good French wines so who knows. Of course my wife keeps threatening to let my teenagers have their friends over which means a night of chaperonage duty and no alchohol. :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:43 pm

Pinon Vouvray Brut. Half the price of NV champagne and while quite different, has great character, plenty of complexity and the acidity to make it go with a variety of foods, cheeses and munchies.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:16 pm

Bruce K wrote:Pinon Vouvray Brut. Half the price of NV champagne and while quite different, has great character, plenty of complexity and the acidity to make it go with a variety of foods, cheeses and munchies.

Where are you getting it Bruce? I'm headed downtown to get some Abele. That looks like something to try out. I'm a newbie Loire-head so I'm willing to give anything from the Loire valley a chance.
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:12 pm

James Roscoe wrote: I'm a newbie Loire-head so I'm willing to give anything from the Loire valley a chance.

Hey James,

Muscadet is from the Loire. Have you tried any? I've heard quite recently that it's a try-it-once-and-you're-hooked kind of wine. I've yet to try one myself, but I hear it's pretty great stuff in a class of it's own.

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:24 pm

2nd time Muscadet has been mentioned today!!! The admiration club groweth.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:35 pm

I had muscadet last night with crab cakes. It was a really magical combination. I wish I could recall the producer, but the crab really brought out the acidity in the muscadet that wasn't there when sipped alone. By itself it was nice and apply, but with the crab it was magic. It was like the call of the sea. I am definitely onto that stuff with seafood.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:20 am

Another vote for Muscadet...and crab cakes too. Who came up with that idea?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:57 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Another vote for Muscadet...and crab cakes too. Who came up with that idea?

Bob, we are talking about REAL crabcakes. Not that fake stuff you were trying to get away with last summer. :wink: Here in the "Land of Pleasant Living" we eat crab 24-7-365. I suppose I need to get my muscadet in order.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:08 pm

I bought several bottles at MacArthur a couple of months ago. If you're headed that way, you might call first to see if they're still in stock. IIRC, they also carried the Champalou Vouvray Brut, which I believe is a Kermit Lynch import (Pinon is Louis/Dressner).
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:14 pm

[quote="James Roscoe"]By itself it was nice and apply...quote]

Hey James, not trying to be snobby here-- did you mean "apple-y"?
I've yet to try "Moose" so I was just wondering if it had some kind of apple-like characteristics. If so, I'm wondering if this is a varietal typification. Hey, let's just ask the question--"What's the typical flavor profile for Muscadet, forumites?"

- Homer 900 B.C.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:22 pm

New Years Day dinner will be nicely roasted pork with herbs. In my mind, it has been signaling all day for that bottle of Domaine Tempier Bandol rose' in my wine storage.

-- Clark
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:49 pm

Mirandl

In case you are not familiar with this sparkling wine it is made in Austria and it is a good sparkling apricot, only $10 and a crowd pleaser. Always dependable and a crowd pleaser, if a bit one dimensional in the fruit taste department.

Second drink: Scotch, Johnny Walker Black Label for sipping. Also a dependable drink, but a bit more complex.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:56 pm

I'm a stay at home this New Years Eve-did my party/dinner thing Saturday night at friends (the tasting notes)

My sister and brother-in-law are treating us with grilled fillet mignon tomorrow-for the New Year and to celebrate my brother's 40th birthday! he piously informed me he will be getting YOUNGER this year and he doesn't want to talk about "middle age". :D

So-we are talking big red. Hopefully no nasty oak monster surprises. I should bring a couple just in case :?

I have a bottle of Napa Wine Company 2001 Cabernet Sauvigon that is quite nice-I tried it at a tasting a couple of years ago and it might be interesting to see what has happened. Nothing fancy, if I recall-a solid **1/2-to-*** wine that will go very well with the rare meat.

Or, I may take a risk and open one of the "Dreaded 2003s of Doom"-I thought the Lynch Bage I tasted the other week was drinking very nicely even at this young age.

Or....maybe even an Aussie Shiraz that I should probably save for a while-E&E Black Pepper.

Finally, I have a very young barolo that has consistently been enjoyable-a 2001 Mauro Segaste Monvigliero. That might be something different to introduce him to the wonders of Northeastern Italy. Barolo and Fillet, though?
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:12 am

We had Gaston Chiquet at midnight. It showed nice yeast and lemon curd. A perfect way to toast in the New Year!
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Bruce K wrote:Pinon Vouvray Brut. Half the price of NV champagne and while quite different, has great character, plenty of complexity and the acidity to make it go with a variety of foods, cheeses and munchies.

I finally got my hands of some of this Brut. It took the WA wine distribution system almost 6 weeks to get some of it out here.

So, we cracked open a bottle last night. (Only figuratively ... no sabers in this house. :wink: ) I agree with your assessment of this wine; it does indeed have great character and a ton of acidity.