The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Netscape Forum Poll: New Year's Wine Resolution

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Netscape Forum Poll: New Year's Wine Resolution

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:42 am

It's almost New Year's, time for resolutions! This week brings our annual poll on your wine plans for 2007: Spend more or less? Drink more or less? Or something else? Click to the CompuServe/Netscape WineLovers Community to vote:

New Year's Wine Resolution
Usual reminder: You do not have to undertake Netscape's registration or login process to vote.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Netscape Forum Poll: New Year's Wine Resolution

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:13 am

Robin, my IT Department won't let me post a comment relating to my 'other' vote on the Resolution poll so I'm adding it here. My 'other' is to not let any wine in the cellar age past its prime. I've had a few disappointments in 2006 stemming from either not knowing how a wine was handled before it came into my possession, expecting too much from it or simply waiting too long for that special time to pop the cork. I will do my due diligence in 2007.
Happy New Year. JP
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:31 am

Jon Peterson wrote:My 'other' is to not let any wine in the cellar age past its prime. I've had a few disappointments in 2006 stemming from either not knowing how a wine was handled before it came into my possession, expecting too much from it or simply waiting too long for that special time to pop the cork. I will do my due diligence in 2007.
Happy New Year. JP

That's a great one, Jon! Not to worry, it's perfectly okay to post "other" comments back here ... that's why I list the poll in both forums. :)
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Dec 26, 2006 9:40 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Robin, my IT Department won't let me post a comment relating to my 'other' vote on the Resolution poll so I'm adding it here. My 'other' is to not let any wine in the cellar age past its prime. I've had a few disappointments in 2006 stemming from either not knowing how a wine was handled before it came into my possession, expecting too much from it or simply waiting too long for that special time to pop the cork. I will do my due diligence in 2007.
Happy New Year. JP

SO my question is, where will you do your due diligence? Are the wines in your cellar already marked for a "due date" to consume? How did you arrive at a date such as that?
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:31 pm

I will attempt my due diligence prior to purchase, mainly through reading and this message board but also buying by the case a trying a bottle one every 6 or 12 months. As for what's in my cellar currently, I am conducting a full inventory ending up with a written and/or electronic listing by the 8th of January (this is all I'm working on this week - what a great way to start a year!). Then, I guess, I'll read even more: everything from Parker to the opinion of my local wine shop owner. My past purchasing habbits have resulted in a lot of two, three and four bottle lots and can't afford to open one just to see how it's doing.
Happy New Year - JPP
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:00 pm

Buy more Champagne, N. Rhones and Burgundy.

Track down a good bottles of the following for my cellar:
Graillot Crozes
Barge Cote-Rotie
Gravner
Trimbach CSH
ESJ

Taste the following:
Radikon
Deutz "Cuvee William" Rose
Philipponnat CdG
de Montille Pommard or Volnay
Selosse (will do as of 2/07)