The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Sushi Lunch w/ Dietz / A. Mann, Beaux Freres, Pey-Marin, Littorai, Arcadian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:03 pm

SoCal

Sushi Lunch w/ Dietz / A. Mann, Beaux Freres, Pey-Marin, Littorai, Arcadian

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:09 pm

What to do. About time to close for the holidays so a few of us gathered at the office, grabbed some sushi and enjoyed some wine. We had me, Dietz, Frayer and two friends just gettings sucked into the world of wine.

We started off with a mystery white. A really nice white which I found rich and mouth coating. Jim and Gerry danced around its Alsace characteristics but then headed down a new world Rhone styled white. It was interesting to hear them go through and narrow the possibilities. It was actually very impressive. I figured this would be a sneaky one. It was a 2004 Albert Mann Auxerrois VV. I really enjoyed this wine. Great stuff and fun one to use as a stumper. Maybe Jim or Gerry can add notes.

Then we poured my 1998 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir. My hopes were not high as experience has shown me that these wines don’t hold up well. The color was showing some age but still very vibrant. The nose was a bad sign. Odd. Probably VA. At first sip there was a lot tannin and the fruit was fading. Not great flavors. Once we broke out the sushi it seemed to smooth out a little but still not great.

Time for my 2004 Pey-Marin Pinot Noir. Nice ripe nose. The wine is still very primary. Tasty but somewhat simple. Still a well made wine that is enjoyable now but will round in about 2 or 3 years. Wine Spectator gave this an 83. Classic! I am not sure what they were smoking. :shock:

On to Jim’s 2004 Littorai “Les Larmes” Pinot Noir Anderson Valley. Wow! Fantastic. Tons of ripe red fruit jumping out of the glass then a nice smack of fresh squeezed orange juice on the front palate. A really great wine. I found this more expressive than other young pinots from the Anderson Valley I have had.

Arcadian time. 2003 Arcadian Dierberg & Fiddlestix Pinot Noir. Gerry brought these. The Dierberg is killer. Drinking great right now. Mixed opinions on the Fiddlestix but for me it was very closed off right now. Lots of stix and little fiddle at this stage. Seems to have the right stuffing but I won’t touch it for a few years.

Gerry also provided us with an Arcadian 2000 Francesca’s Cuvee that was opened the night before. Shows age when you look at the color as well as on the nose. There is plenty of fruit but it is also showing earth, blood and meat. Still a bit of a bruiser. A pleasure to drink but I think the elegance will continue to develop as the years go by.

For a final treat, Jim brought a 375 of the 2005 Siduri Sonoma Coast (maybe County…not sure) Pinot Noir. Cocktails. Your basic black cherry milk shake. Enjoyable but out of place in this group.

Gerry off in space

How They Stacked Up
A. Mann Auxerrois: One 3rd place = 1 pts
Arcadian Fiddlestix: One 3rd place = 1 pts
Beaux Freres: One 2nd place = 2 pts
Arcadian Dierberg: Two 2nd place = 4 pts
Pey-Marin: One 1st place, Two 3rd place = 5 pts
Arcadian Francesca’s: Two 2nd place, One 3rd place = 5 pts
Littoria: Four 1st place = 12 pts
Siduri: No votes

12 points 2004 Littoria “Les Larmes” = 1st place bye a mile
5 points 2004 Pey-Marin & 2000 Arcadian Francesca’s = 2nd place
4 points 2003 Arcadian Dierberg = 3rd place

Cheers,

Jason
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Sushi Lunch w/ Dietz / A. Mann, Beaux Freres, Pey-Marin, Littorai, Arcadian

by Brian K Miller » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:31 pm

I just sampled a couple of Arcadians this weekend at a wine shop in Yountville. I really like the austerity of the "Rio Vista" Santa Rita Hills bottle. The other one (which I can't recall) was a little more fruit forward and accessible, but still very elegant and delicious. The storekeeper (young guy, but given his tastes and cellar knowledge, he might be the owner???) (it was Groetzners???? Next to the Wells Fargo for those who know Yountville) recommended keeping them a few years. Still...it was drinking really nice. Available in January.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

Re: Sushi Lunch w/ Dietz / A. Mann, Beaux Freres, Pey-Marin, Littorai, Arca

by Jason Hagen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Hi Brian,

Here is my not on the Rio Vista. http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=4540&highlight=

I wonder if the other one you tried was the Dierberg.

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:50 pm

Great lunch, Jason...and nice to see Matt, with all his newbie enthusiasm, and Darren getting sucked into the black hole of wine geedkdom.

The Beaux Freres definitely lacked fruit on the palate and had a very stemmy/weedy nose. I wasn't impressed at first. However, it did become a bit more integrated over the couple/three hours we were eating and drinking...and it was actually quite good with the sushi. Thanx for bringing it... I enjoyed it.

The Arcadian Dierberg was very good. Balanced, lively fruit, good mouthweight. I think it was close behind the Francesca in my voting; the Francesca had nice tartness and also great balance. The Fiddlestix was very strange. I got next to no fruit, and it seemed out of balance.

The Littorai was just excellent.. and to think it's their `entry' level wine, I think.. just great juice.

What can you say about Albert Mann wines except they seem to be uniformly good and great buys. This was kind of an unfair blind tasting, since I may have had one other Auxerrois in my life. Nice graprefruit and acidity, good balance... wasn't a sushi wine, but it was a very nice palate cleanser and a good starter...

The Siduri was the Sonoma County.. and it was the cocktail you describe. I just hope with time that the balance improves. Having said that, Darren loved it and wished he had some to take to Christmas dinner. If I could have got some to him, I sure would have.

Great idea for just a few of us to get together for lunch..hopefully we can keep the `Vineyard Lunch Gang' going for a while.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:00 am

James Dietz wrote: Great idea for just a few of us to get together for lunch..hopefully we can keep the `Vineyard Lunch Gang' going for a while.

For sure! VLG Rules!

Peace,

Jason
no avatar
User

Jason Hagen

Rank

Wine guru

SoCal

by Jason Hagen » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Had the A. Mann again at Christmas. It was a hit right across the board.

Jason
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:28 pm

I got to get some of that stuff... no one would not not like it....
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:30 pm

I wish I'd been there! What a great lineup. And this sheds more light on the Pay-Marins. I look forward to enjoying one of these soon.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov