The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2004 Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

WTN: 2004 Bordeaux

by Randy Buckner » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:13 am

With the 2003 Bordeaux vintage overhyped and overripe, and the 2005 Bordeaux futures priced ridiculously high, 2004 may be a sleeper vintage to take advantage of. While not the best of years, as we all know there are good wines to be found in every vintage.

I saw the '04 Chateau Lascombes on the market and had to give it a try. Suckling says: Plenty of blackberry and lightly toasty oak character, with hints of tea. Medium- to full-bodied, with silky tannins and a medium finish. Balanced. Score range: 85-88 –JS. Parker states: The brilliant 2004 is unquestionably one of the wines of the vintage. An inky/purple color is followed by a gorgeously expressive, explosive nose of creme de cassis, smoked meats, flowers, and graphite. Opulent, medium to full-bodied, and beautifully concentrated, with tremendous precision as well as uplift, this superb effort is atypically rich and textured for a 2004. 93-94.

I find the wine to be better than Suckling's rating, but less so than the effusive review by Parker:

2004 Chateau Lascombes, Margaux, France, $45. You won’t read print through this deeply-hued Bordeaux. Blackberries, cedar and vanilla scents intermingle on the nose. Medium to full in the mouth, the generous dark fruit has an added earthy component. The tannins are firm but ripe – give the wine a minimum of five years to shed a bit of the bite; 90/90.

I'll put a few in the cellar at this price.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: WTN: 2004 Bordeaux

by Carl Eppig » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 am

Might pick up a couple to celebrate the passing of the decade (or a couple of years later!).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:53 am

Lascombes seemed to return to form with the 2000 vintage, and every vintage since has shown that 00 wasn't a fluke. I've got both 2000 and 2001, and picked up a few 03's on your earlier reccomendation.

So, the 04's good, eh? Only one I've bought so far is Palmer and I've been planning to buy others for all the reasons you state. Just haven't gotten around to deciding which ones.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:06 pm

picked up a few 03's on your earlier reccomendation

They did a nice job in '03 despite the vintage. The wine should drink well for a decade.