The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Swiss WTN:Lutz Weinbau "Landsgmendwy" Riesling-Sylvaner 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Swiss WTN:Lutz Weinbau "Landsgmendwy" Riesling-Sylvaner 2005

by Bill Hooper » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:48 pm

This is from the only Weinkeller in Appenzell -in the German speaking eastern Switzerland. The entire area under vine is less than 3 ha -Most of it taken up by the Wienacht-Tobel vineyard where this is from. I've never been a fan of Müller-Thurgau, and bought this rather for the novelty while on vacation this past summer. I quickly became addicted to Appenzeller cheese, the self-proclaimed 'Stinkiest cheese in Switzerland'. This wine would find a perfect home combating the käse. It is light bodied and delicate. The fruit is lemon and applewine (just as dry too), with a little pungent earth, pepper and little feather light paper-cuts of acidity. All in all, it's one of the better Müller-Thurgaus (what's the plural for Müller-Thurgau? I'll go with Müller-Thurgauer :D) I've had lately (in the past few years). Although this is a vine that should generally be ripped up and forgotten. Would I buy this were it readily available? Probably not all of the time. But it does bring me back to summer vacation and the beauty of Switzerland -and that's WELL worth the price. 20CHF, 12.1% Alc -70cl.

Prost!
Bill