The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '02 Willi Schaefer Kab

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '02 Willi Schaefer Kab

by Dale Williams » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:24 pm

Tuesday was a shrimp and oyster mushrooms (recipe from Mykoreankitchen.com, but seemed more Cantonese to me). I served the 2002 Willi Schaefer Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett. My first reaction was "lime blossoms", then I realized I don't know that I've ever encountered lime blossoms. Well, there was a gorgeous lime fruit aroma that mixed with a floral overtone, so I'm calling it lime blossom. Sue me. Beautfully delineated wine, mineral tones under the fruit. Develops well with air, the lime fruit becoming more peachy. I really enjoy this, drinking well but promising more for the future. B+/A-
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

Re: WTN: '02 Willi Schaefer Kab

by Bill Hooper » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks Dale,

It reminds me of a friend who referred to his glass of Condrieu as 'Smoked Apricots'. I looked at him and asked about the last time he had consumed smoked apricots 8) . I do it myself! Hell, it's one of the many liberties taken by a wine lover.

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: '02 Willi Schaefer Kab

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Glad to hear you liked it Dale. 2002 was a better vintage for Willi than 2001. His Wehleners tend to be "small" wines and I like them that way. Still have 1 bottle of the '99 kicking around. I'll probably bust it out on Thor one of these days.
Decisions are made by those who show up