The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: AJ Adam and Cantemerle

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: AJ Adam and Cantemerle

by Jenise » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:11 pm

2002 AJ Adam Dhroner Riesling (MSR)
When riesling is multi-faceted and throws colorful flavors around my mouth like a disco ball, I love it. When it's not that way, though, it's just wine. This one was just wine. Selected to serve with a homemade Asian meal of starter course fried shrimp with vietnamese sauce followed by cashew chicken, it showed just grapefruit peel and coconut. And light acidity kept those flavors in the bottom of the glass. Would have been fine with Thai food, but with Chinese it was on the wrong plane. It did seem, however, show some lift toward the end of the last glass, as if we'd simply been drinking it in a closed state and were packing up to go home just before the fireworks started. But it was too late to be sure. David?

1999 Cantemerle
Discussing the unsatisfactory 2003 made me need to retaste the 99 just to make sure I hadn't missed something, so I pulled one last night to go with broiled lamb chops and curry-mushroom dirty rice. I hadn't missed anything at all, this is a fine little Bordeaux and the best showing of the 99 yet. Unlike previous bottles, this one was quite bretty. But that blew off after 30 minutes and in its place blossomed that distinctive, must-have thing that hypnotizes me about Bordeaux, with deep black cherry fruit with blackberry, violet and a modest dose of herbs and the kind of earth and leather that lets you know this isn't a new wine (Bob guessed mid-90's). It opened up nicely over the two hours we drank it, unlike the last bottle a year ago where I left the bottle for better drinking the next day. Very good, an unpretentious Bordeaux experience at an unpretentious price ($19).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: AJ Adam and Cantemerle

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:22 pm

Many 2002s are indeed closed now, but Adam is also new at his craft, so I don't know how consistent he is across the range. Tough to say.
Decisions are made by those who show up