The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Brief Winery Review-Race Car Driver Wine (Mario Andretti)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Brief Winery Review-Race Car Driver Wine (Mario Andretti)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:40 pm

Located immediately north of the City of Napa, this winery is in a relatively cool microclimate (Technically, Oak Knoll Appellation). The winery is actually quite lovely, with a very distinct Tuscan theme-but done quite well, with sgrafitto stencilling on the stucco, a lovely stone paved courtyard with a fountain, wrought iron balconies and other ironwork, and nice wooden shutters. Very impressive imo-if you're going to do "kitsch," do it with conviction! Pleasant tasting room staff-they were actually quite busy. They were serving nibbles (I was not hungry, though). Solid A- on the winery.

I tried the Mondova Reserves. The 2004 Merlot was, frankly, outstanding, with complex layers of savory and herbal flavors but still a nice dollop of black, juicy fruit. One of the best Napa Merlots I've tried this year-I frankly preferred it right now to the Chateatu Destrieux St Emillion I tried this weekend in the same price range (heresy!) I really do prefer, often, cooler climate wines from the bottom of Napa County-although there can be good fruit bombs, too, I prefer the savory and herbal and greener wines (no Bell Pepper, though!).

The Cab was also quite nice, with similar cool weather character. I will probably be back.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Brief Winery Review-Race Car Driver Wine (Mario Andretti)

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:33 pm

Two questions, Brian:

What do the wines sell for?

How much do they charge for tasting?

Thanks - the merlot sounds good!

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: Brief Winery Review-Race Car Driver Wine (Mario Andretti)

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:30 am

Sorry :oops: The Merlot was quite pricy. ($49). The cabs a bit more ($55) Except for Frank Family, ALL wineries in Napa charge for tasting. The Reserve Wine tasting was $12, but included food on Sundays. Pricy, but I still enjoyed them.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach