The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Musar rosé 1995, Warre's VP 1983, Bonnet Blanc '05

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Musar rosé 1995, Warre's VP 1983, Bonnet Blanc '05

by Saina » Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:56 pm

Chateau Bonnet Blanc 2005 (12€; 6,30€ / ½) is a fair Sauv Bl + Sem blend from between the two seas. Fresh, very sauvignonny nose, very ripe. I can't really see much Sémillon influence at the moment. Nice acidity, a bit more full bodied that expected from the nose - is that the Sémillon or the warm vintage? At c.6€ for a half, this rocks!

Musar Rosé 1995 (12% abv, ?€) is maybe the best Rosé I have tasted. Given in a black glass, I would probably not guess that this is a rosé. Rather it seems to be an essence of Musar: a bit bretty (smells like Cantillon's Gueuze), peachy fruit, earthy and mineral. It's a scent I could sniff for ever. The palate is abundantly fruity, yet paradoxically light. It has fair acidity though I would never call it acid forward wine. It is very moreish and mineral. A stunning wine. It seems that more age wouldn't hurt it, but will it improve still? Anyone have experience with older Musar rosés?

Warre's VP 1983 (20%, c.55€)

I took the cork out at 9am, went to work, decanted it when I came home from work at 18:30. We started drinking at 20:00. I thought at that point that I should have decanted in the morning, because there was a touch of alcohol noticable.

Otherwise the nose was utterly lovely. I've not usually really liked younger Warre's, but I have never (oddly enough) tasted one with a bit of age on it. The younger ones I've had have seemed a touch one-dimensional, rather sweet but lacking the savouriness that I hope to see. This however had such a depth and complexity and was savoury alongside being very sweet, that I really loved it. If this is how the young Warre's turn out, I have to revise my opinion on them.

It seems a very "gentlemanly" Port with its savoury fig, cigar and earth aromas. A pity then that even now at mid-night the alcohol hasn't really integrated. The aromas are very lovable, but here I feel that 18% instead of 20% would have been preferable.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.