The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Les Ormes de Pez

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

WTN: 1999 Les Ormes de Pez

by Covert » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:42 am

My wife and I are still drinking virtually nothing but claret (term used for old time’s sake, not accuracy), however with widening uncharacteristic accompaniment: lobster corn/risotto using the lobster body and shell with clam juice for the stock, with winter squash and brussels sprouts last night. Friday night it was clams with cous cous and white beans, with roasted red peppers and green onions. I mention the sea food dishes which we seem to be having ever more often just because they are really good, and they pave the way for an occasional chuck of red meat to taste especially good, without as much guilt.

Anyway, I have to mention an unanticipated delight with our claret selection last night. 1999 Les Ormes de Pez might be expected by many folks to be mediocre, given the clay it’s grown in and the horrendous rain in the region prior to picking. But, I have to wonder if it is exactly these untoward struggles that add character so lacking in Bordeaux today. This wine was really interesting, starting with the surprisingly evolved asphalt and earth nose immediately after opening. Nutmeg-like elements imparted a sweetness like Diogenes’ lantern probing the way through imponderable depths. Smooth and silky, full texture and an extra long finish, which shortened slightly with time – my only disappointment. And yes it was a little hollow, I suppose; but that dark cave invited the numinous walk on the interesting side. Cheery fruit can yield a California Merlot-like Mr. Rolland Neighborhood.

Disclaimer: Just because I like a particular wine doesn’t mean anybody else will.