The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Vetter Tramintte

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Vetter Tramintte

by Ed Draves » Sun Dec 17, 2006 8:05 am

Nice spice and fruit character with great acidity and an after taste of citrus (orange dominates)
This wine might be the finest Traminette I've ever had, unfortunately Vetter does not wholesale it at this point, it is only available directly from Vetter: http://www.vettervineyards.com/vetter/. 716-326-3100

EMAIL: wine@cecomet.net

I'd give this my highest recommendation. btw The owner/winemaker at Vetter is Mark Lancaster - he was the Winemaker at Johnson before Jeff Murphy.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Vetter Tramintte

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:08 am

Traminette strikes me as a variety with real potential for the East, Ed. I was at a Christmas party last night where somebody brought an estate-grown Traminette from Turtle Run winery in Southern Indiana, but it never got opened. I wanted to hint, but couldn't figure out a discreet way to do it. :)
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 am

Robin Garr wrote:Traminette strikes me as a variety with real potential for the East, Ed. I was at a Christmas party last night where somebody brought an estate-grown Traminette from Turtle Run winery in Southern Indiana, but it never got opened. I wanted to hint, but couldn't figure out a discreet way to do it. :)

Agreed! When I went to a Garden State (a.k.a. New Jersey) Wine Growers Association event several years ago, the Traminette was the only, and I do mean only, wine which was really good ... and I must have tried 100 different wines. Since then, the Traminettes I've tried have been the stand-outs.

In the interim I have stumbled over an occasional winner from New Jersey. (In general, I have begun to forgive my native state for rolling over in the question of direct shipping. Confession is good for the soul.)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

by Ed Draves » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:23 am

In general, I think Traminette outperforms Gewürztraminer in (anything close) to it's price range from New York. A bonus is that it is extremely winter hardy.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:13 pm

Gary, Silver Decoy Winery, 610 Windsor-Perrineville Road, Robbinsville, NJ 08691, 609-371-6000 made a very pretty 2005 Traminette.

But -- 87 miles home to winery; 87 miles winery to home. Very tough for me to forgive the legislators.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:15 pm

Ed Draves wrote:In general, I think Traminette outperforms Gewürztraminer in (anything close) to it's price range from New York. A bonus is that it is extremely winter hardy.
I agree Ed. I've had 2 Traminettes witin the past week and thoroughly enjoyed both. I will post TNs soon.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:17 pm

There is a lot of good Traminette made in Virginia too. I have a bottle. If I think about it I will make a note when I drink it, probably on Christmas. My niece loves it.

Where is Paul B.? I would have thought this thread would have him waxing poetic about the virtues of hybrids! :roll:
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:35 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Gary, Silver Decoy Winery, 610 Windsor-Perrineville Road, Robbinsville, NJ 08691, 609-371-6000 made a very pretty 2005 Traminette.

But -- 87 miles home to winery; 87 miles winery to home. Very tough for me to forgive the legislators.

Yes, Bob, thanks! I've actually had some of things from Silver Decoy. My son lives down in Brick and has occasion to get some the local stuff which I try through him.

Forgive the legislators for that July '04 atrocity they call legislation!? I'm still writing e-mails to them about it.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:19 pm

Me too. Writing emails helps a little.

A couple of local shipping companies near some wineries are thumbing their noses at the law -- but finding New Jersey wines I want to try is still a challenge. Traminette may be the ticket to more success here.
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:35 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I was at a Christmas party last night where somebody brought an estate-grown Traminette from Turtle Run winery in Southern Indiana, but it never got opened. I wanted to hint, but couldn't figure out a discreet way to do it. :)

My advice would have been to ask around who brought it, locate them, and strike up a discussion on the grape. I'm sure then they'd be more than happy to reach for the corkscrew. :D
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:39 pm

James Roscoe wrote:Where is Paul B.? I would have thought this thread would have him waxing poetic about the virtues of hybrids! :roll:

A little late, James, but I'm on the scene right now, wax in hand and all ... :lol:

Now, Traminette is a variety that I, too, feel should become one of the signature whites of the East. Unfortunately, we have absolutely none in Ontario - everyone is busy trying to prove that we can match Alsace for their Gewurz. I'd say forget about it, by and large; most Gewurzes I've had have been disappointingly lacking in varietal character, and the variety itself is not winter hardy enough for our tough climate.

That said, I do have a Michigan dry Traminette which I will likely open soon, perhaps not too long after Christmas. Detailed notes with photos and the like will certainly follow.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca