The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Qupe Syrah CentralCoast '12...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Qupe Syrah CentralCoast '12...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:47 pm

The latest release of Bob's CC Syrah just showed up here in NM:
1. Qupe Syrah CentralCoast (13.5%; www.Qupe.com) SantaMaria 2012: Dark color; strong blackberry/Syrah/bit boysenberry light smokey/pencilly/oak very slight earthy/Rhonish nose; rather tart/tangey/lean spicy/Syrah/blueberry/blackberry light pencilly/oak slight earthy/stony/Rhonish flavor w/ light/tangy tannins; med.long tart/tangy/lean strong blueberry/Syrah/blackberry slight pencilly/oak finish w/ light/bitey/tangy tannins; a rather angular/tangy rendition of Calif Syrah. $19.50 (SFW&S)
So I was excited to to finally see the '12 release of his bottom-end Syrah. Alas, I was rather disappointed in this wine. It was varietally correct and spoke of the Qupe style. But on the palate it was rather tangy/hard/angular and didn't offer up much pleasure. I expect it will be better w/ a yr's age on it, maybe longer, but it's not much pleasure at this point in time.
Tom