The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some White Rhones...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some White Rhones...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:59 pm

We tried last week some WhiteRhones w/ my BBB group:
1. EdmundsSt.John Roussanne TablasCreekVvyd/Paso Robles 2004: Med.dark gold color; bit smokey/waxey some figgy/
honeysuckle/Rouss quite fragrant complex lovely nose; fairly tart figgy/waxy strong honeysuckle/Rouss bit
smokey/pungent light mineral perfumed complex flavor w/ very long/lingering finish; a beautiful/youthful that's
starting to show some secondary characteristics and no signs of the nutty character of oxidation; a beautiful
Roussanne in a very good place right now.
a bit disjointed & need of age.
age; not the strong aromatics of most Calif Rouss.
w/ very long/lingering fragrant/floral somewhat stony finish; lovely aromatics w/ the stoniness you get in
Rhone whites; a perfumey character you seldom get in Calif Marsanne. $60.00
complex quite Rhonish flavor w/ a long/lingering finish that goes on & on; wonderful/powerful aromatics almost
like a Condrieu yet w/ a structure & balance and not at all over the top; fairly priced at $70.00
Italian passito wine; an amazing dessert wine.
Calif & Rhone versions. I guess what struck me most was the perfumey aromatics that were in the Rhone
Marsannes. In Calif, the Marsannes seem to be rather simple/appley in their youth and only become interesting
with some age when they develop that nutty/waxy/toasted hazelnuts/slightly oxidized/honeyed character.
Tom
no avatar
User

Gary R

Rank

Just got here

Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: WTN: Some White Rhones...(long/boring)

by Gary R » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 pm

Boy, aren't those white Rhone's (especially the upper end ones) difficult to catch in "their window" of best drinkability? In my limited experience I've found that drinking them very young (1-4 years old) is usually best unless you can age them for 15+, and then there's the pre-mox worry . . . :?
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Gary R wrote:Boy, aren't those white Rhone's (especially the upper end ones) difficult to catch in "their window" of best drinkability? In my limited experience I've found that drinking them very young (1-4 years old) is usually best unless you can age them for 15+, and then there's the pre-mox worry . . . :?

Yup, Gary....I find the white Rhones very difficult to predict on their ageability. Not all of them are particularly glorious
when they're young. But most of them are when they get some age on them. I've not found pre-mox to be a particular problem w/
white Rhones, though. Fact..can't recall any I thought were pre-moxed.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:43 pm

nice to see the Chante Alouette preforming well..This wine was my introduction to white Hermitage a zillion years ago at one of the Spooktator's NYC's tastings at the Marriott. probably in mid 1980's....A lovely young lady at Chapoutier's booth looked my way and told me that I just had to taste this wine..so I did ...and loved it..
Jon
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm

Jon Leifer wrote:....A lovely young lady at Chapoutier's booth looked my way and told me that I just had to taste this wine..so I did ...and loved it..

Nothing like an attractive young woman to get wine noticed!
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

by Jon Leifer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:58 pm

guilty as charged..got introduced to Catena Malbecs the same way a few years later
Jon