The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Col Solare, Mondavi, Dashe, Lan LE, Dauzac, Rion etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: Col Solare, Mondavi, Dashe, Lan LE, Dauzac, Rion etc

by Jenise » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Recent stuff:

2006 Long Shadows Wineries 'Pirouette', Columbia Valley WA Red Blend

Very similar to the Oct '13 bottle: Plummy fruit with pencil shavings, vanilla, and a hint of mint. Worthy of contemplation and reaffirms my faith that this is one of Washington's best cab blends

2000 Robert Mondavi Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Napa Valley
Don J's bottle and WOTN for me. Excellent CalCab--rich, elegant, old school. Everything that always seduced me about Mondavi's wines is right here in this bottle. Black cherry, tobacco, mocha and the faintest note of cedar spice--youthful but maturing nicely. Drink or hold.

2003 Dashe Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

Mike's bottle. Enjoyable, but kind of average. That is, it lacked anything distinctive or notable compared to the Mondavi and Lan wines on the table. My notes started with 'red fruit' and just kind of died there--was waiting for something special to pop out but it never did.

1994 Seven Hills Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Seven Hills Vineyard Walla Walla Valley

From magnum. Unbalanced with more acid than fruit initially. Remainder held to next day showed more fruit but with some muddy, soy saucey notes that indicate a wine on the brink of fading.

2003 Bodegas LAN Rioja Edición Limitada TempranilloMike's bottle. Garnet color with maturing rim. Full bodied, voluptuous ripeness, with complex nose of leather, spice and orange peel. Perfect middle-age maturity for current drinking. Excellent plus.

1990 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Nuits St. Georges Les Grandes Vignes

The first sample, immediately after corking and before decanting, was fantastic--interesting aromas of cherry pie, smoke, earth and bandaid. But those wafted away during the decant and 30 minute wait for service, leaving a wine that was tasty-mature but somewhat dull. We either drank too soon or too late--will never know, it was my only bottle.

2010 J. Rochioli Sauvignon Blanc Russian River Valley
This wine is absolutely singing right now, it has the verve and personality I remember about Rochioli SB's which neither of the first two bottles we opened (closer to a year ago) showed. Time or bottle variation?--no idea. Green bell pepper and gooseberry with a dash of passion fruit, good intensity. A stunner.

2013 Greyrock Sauvignon Blanc Reserve Marlborough
Very decent Sauv Blanc, a true crowd pleaser style. That is, slightly fleshier and sweeter than typical but it does have the acidity needed to carry it. Serve very cold.

1999 Col Solare Columbia Valley Red Bordeaux Blend
Excellent for current drinking. Better than the bottle we had earlier this year, and from a different source. Is aging beautifully: perfectly middle aged and juxtaposing primary black fruit and tobacco notes against leather and an iron-rich minerality. Tannins and acid levels spot-on for further cellaring: drink or hold.

1970 Château Dauzac Margaux Red Bordeaux Blend
Tiring but not dead, and actually fairly delightful. Med-light body, soft cherry fruit, tea and the usual potpourri. Last sip almost as good as the first.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: WTN: Col Solare, Mondavi, Dashe, Lan LE, Dauzac, Rion etc

by John S » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:34 pm

I thought the Seven Hills mag would have been nice now, as I've had some nice oldish bottles. But glad to hear most of these other wines showed better.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 am

Jenise wrote:1990 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Nuits St. Georges Les Grandes Vignes[/b]
The first sample, immediately after corking and before decanting, was fantastic--interesting aromas of cherry pie, smoke, earth and bandaid. But those wafted away during the decant and 30 minute wait for service, leaving a wine that was tasty-mature but somewhat dull. We either drank too soon or too late--will never know, it was my only bottle.

Drank too late. Never, ever decant mature burgundy in advance, the risk is too big.
BTW, 1990 was the last vintage when I bought Rion, I think they have gone downhill since. (Although I must confess I have not had a single bottle made after Patrice left in 2001, tired of fighting with his brothers.)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 pm

John S wrote:I thought the Seven Hills mag would have been nice now, as I've had some nice oldish bottles. But glad to hear most of these other wines showed better.

I was surprised! Especially since I bought the bottle from it's original owner's glacial-paced cellar. It probably hit 'perfect' about breakfast time on Day 2, but since we weren't drinking then it devolved into another place less nice by the time we got to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:21 pm

Fredrik L wrote:
Jenise wrote:1990 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Nuits St. Georges Les Grandes Vignes[/b]

Drank too late. Never, ever decant mature burgundy in advance, the risk is too big.
BTW, 1990 was the last vintage when I bought Rion, I think they have gone downhill since. (Although I must confess I have not had a single bottle made after Patrice left in 2001, tired of fighting with his brothers.)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L

I know. Wasn't our intention to let it sit that long, I timed the opening to when I expected to serve the roast pheasant I was serving, but the bird ended up needing a little more time and the wine had to wait. Btw, I actually liked some of the early 90's Rions--we visited in 94 and were impressed enough to bring home some bottles, but it is in fact the 80's Rions that made the biggest impression. And an 88 Clos Vougeot was my WOTY last year.