The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines with co-workers (Rhys, Wind Gap, Holger Koch)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Wines with co-workers (Rhys, Wind Gap, Holger Koch)

by David M. Bueker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:41 am

Simple process - find good byo, team buys me dinner and I bring the wines.

2008 Rhys Pinot Noir Bearwallow Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (8/25/2014)
This used to be the most grumpy Rhys wine I had ever had. It's not grumpy anymore. In fact it was a crowd pelaser at dinner last night, showing more refined fruit and very subtle oak. There was also the beginnings of more developed elements, though just the earliest hints. When drinking the wine on its own the bits of earth and brown leaves came out, but the fruit was what really played with the food. Excellent development over the last 3 years (my last taste of this was in 2011), and now I am sad that I only have one bottle left.

2011 Holger Koch Weissburgunder Scheibenhardt - Germany, Baden (8/25/2014)
Loads of crisp treee fruit and subtle balancing acidity. Bone dry, refreshing and very food friendly with sushi & sashimi.

2012 Wind Gap Wines Chardonnay James Berry - USA, California, Central Coast (8/25/2014)
Very stern/minerally for a California Chardonnay. Rounder than say a Chablis, but definitely in that mold. Crunchy fruit, steel and a finishing brightness that totally cleans up the palate. Very nice.
Decisions are made by those who show up