The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2012 Terra D’Oro Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

WTN: 2012 Terra D’Oro Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel

by Tom Troiano » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:42 am

2012 Terra D’Oro Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel

I’ve tried two bottles of this now and I’m finding I’m liking this more than I expected given TomHill’s comments. The wine has garnet color with nose of dark berry fruit, cloves, cedar and spicy oak. Almost Draper Perfume but not quite. The palate shows ripe blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, licorice and plum and soft tannins. Nice balance of power and restraint. I’m really liking this for under $20 per bottle.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:08 am

Tom Troiano wrote:2012 Terra D’Oro Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel

I’ve tried two bottles of this now and I’m finding I’m liking this more than I expected given TomHill’s comments. The wine has garnet color with nose of dark berry fruit, cloves, cedar and spicy oak. Almost Draper Perfume but not quite. The palate shows ripe blackberry, raspberry, blueberry, licorice and plum and soft tannins. Nice balance of power and restraint. I’m really liking this for under $20 per bottle.

Well, Tom.....it's sorta like seeing this hot/chick high school cheerleader you had the hots for back then, out working the streets at 40 yrs of age.

The last time I had this Deaver Zin, several yrs ago, it was a pretty little wine...but just that. DeaverVnyd old-vines can deliver a truly profound
Zin...it has in the past. But the Terra D'Oro is not that. For < $20/btl...it's pleasant enough. But just that.
Tom
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: 2012 Terra D’Oro Deaver Vineyard Zinfandel

by Tom Troiano » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:30 am

I understand. If this were 30 years from now and someone less skilled than Ridge was making wine with Geyserville fruit that was once controlled by Ridge and the wine was nice but not Ridge Geyserville quality then I think I get the picture.
Tom T.