The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bello, Bello, Bello

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Bello, Bello, Bello

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Three vintages of Ridge Monte Bello, served side by side from 375 ml at dinner with my folks.

2001 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/23/2014)
Mature? Heck no. Delicious? Hell yes! Silky and soft on the front, with lots of stuffing that masks the structure on the back end. This is very pleasurable to drink now from 375 ml bottle. Long way to go, but luscious now.

2005 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/23/2014)
The most structured and acidic of the three we tried side by side ('01, '05 and '06 - all from 375 ml), this was showing lots of tannin and acid, and really just grumpy for the first hour. Air helped, and it certainly showed breed/class, but really in a do not disturb state now.

2006 Ridge Monte Bello - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (8/23/2014)
Ripe, juicy and quite showy at this point. The oak is sticking out a bit, but there is so much material here, that it is certain to be just a phase. Structure is mostly hidden behind the fruit and oak. Time, time, time for this, but certainly enjoyable to drink now. It just is not offering what it will in time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Bello, Bello, Bello

by Jenise » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm so envious. Monte Bello is the one wine I don't buy--but love and should. It's costly but as a special occasion wine, it's worth the occasional splurge.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Well worth it.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Jenise wrote:I'm so envious. Monte Bello is the one wine I don't buy--but love and should. It's costly but as a special occasion wine, it's worth the occasional splurge.

It's not cheap, but on futures, it's < $100.

On the secondary market, good vintages are available for way less than equivalent bordeaux.
Cheers, Jim