The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: SOBER does "Gevrey vs the world" at Dan's

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: SOBER does "Gevrey vs the world" at Dan's

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Our SOBER group gathered at Dan’s last night. He greeted us with a nice cheese assortment and smoked salmon, along with 2 Champagnes

NV Vilmart Grand Cellier 1er Cru Brut Champagne
Very full, powerful, this is raised in oak but not really marked by it, larger framed style. Very good, even though not my preferred style. B+

NV Billecarte-Salmon “Sous Bois” Brut Champagne
Similar style, well done though this is a bit more plodding and stolid than the Vilmart. B

On to the blind wines.

Flight # 1
3 whites, served with a delicious tomato/basil soup with shrimp. First was my fave from beginning

First Wine
Good acids, someone thought finish clipped but I found quite long. Lemon, apples, honey, just a tinge of sweetness. 2010 Huet “Clos du Bourg” Vouvray Sec A-

Second Wine
More subdued at first, opens nicely, a bit lighter but a pretty wine. 2010 Pinon “Silex” Vouvray. B+

Third Wine
My least favorite at first, a bit tropical, but it showed very well with the food. 2010 Pascal Cotat “Monts Damnes” Sancerre. B+

Flight # 2
What a great flight of Burgundy
First Wine
Red cherry fruit, herbs and spices, smoky. Suave and elegant, long. I held a little for much of dinner and it just got better and better. Mathieu owns the plot, gets part of production, identical to the Roumier. 1993 Mathieu (Roumier) Charmes-Chambertin A/A-

Second Wine
Red and black cherry, very minerally, bright acids, a bit of tannin. Great, and also improves in glass. 1993 d’Angerville “Clos des Ducs” Volnay 1er A-

Flight #3
I preferred first wine, though second got more and more appealing

First Wine
A bit of a lifted note, but not distracting. Full, black cherries, meat, cigarbox. Good length, very good. 1991 Roty Griottes-Chambertin A-

Second Wine
Herby, tobacco. Very good, but more Chinon than Pomerol. 1983 Ch. Trotanoy B+

Flight #4
With an excellent beef stew and green beans. I had a strong preference for first wine from beginning, with the third wine getting better with air and the second (my original #2) getting less exciting.

First Wine
Nicely balanced, rich fruit, tannins in background, good length.
1995 Dujac “Combottes” Gevrey-Chambertin 1er B+/A-

Second Wine
I thought this herby, but disagreed that it smelled like pot. Cathleen guessed CA PN then got Oregon. Big, ripe, on the verge of overripe to me but not quite there. With air it got a bit disjointed. 1993 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir B

Third Wine
This had a dankness that wasn’t TCA for quite a while. Dan said this had gotten more air than any other wine. Mark got CdP, and I thought it actually got much better with air. Very round ripe berry fruit, sandalwood, spice. 1989 Bonneau “Marie Beurrier” Chateauneuf-du-Pape. B/B+

Dan revealed his hidden theme in previous 3 flights, Gevrey vs the World

Flight #5
First Wine
Medium bodied, pretty, red fruited, a little lifted (I guessed Rioja). Very good wine.
1985 Ch. Rauzan-Segla B+/A-
Second Wine
Beautiful mature claret nose, medium bodied with warm lush fruit and anise notes. An excellent showing. 1961 Ch. Lascombes A-/B+

That was the official end of tasting, but Dan said he had opened one more. Sharp and acidic, some oxidative and burnt notes, but an interesting wine hanging out underneath. Dan declared bad storage, too bad as the 1959 Ch. Beychevelle can be a fine and elegant bottling.

Really great night

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: SOBER does "Gevrey vs the world" at Dan's

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 pm

So did everyone bring a wine for this?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:50 pm

No, we rotate hosting, all wines from host's cellar
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Any idea on post disgorgement age on the Vilmart? I always tend to like them with significant cellar time.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm

I heard Cathleen start to look for disgorgement date/lot #, but then went to help slice bread. I'll ask her or Dan.
I should say that my stylistic preferences weren't shared by the group, and I think this would have gotten A's from most.