The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: back in NY, young Nebbiolo, Kabs, and more

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: back in NY, young Nebbiolo, Kabs, and more

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Wednesday I took bus to Boston and Amtrak to Stamford. 2 delays, but a friend picked me up and I was home by 7, then headed to office for a bit. Too tired/late to cook, so went by supermarket for a rotisserie bird, but they were out. So I got broccoli, salad, and (gasp) a Lean Cuisine lemongrass chicken box. Wine was better than the dinner.
2012 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Kabinett- Lots of sugar, more Spat than Kab, but with nerve and verve. Limey citrus, green apple, taut finish. A-/B+

Thursday I grilled salmon and squash, and sauteed chard and green beans from our garden. Wine was the regular 2011 Coudert/Roillete Fleurie. Red fruits, lots of spicy notes, good long finish. I’ll drink these while waiting on theTardive. B+

Friday I invited a few friends for dinner, I set up on patio, but Rosie said it was too cold out (in August!). So we moved inside as we tried the Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Extrem’ Champagne . Tart with lemon, more lemon, and unripe green apple, this is really too austere for my tastes. C+

I had made caprese and a lobster salad, grilled some ribeyes and corn, Jonathan had brought broccoli rabe and eggplant.

2009 Leitz Rudesheimer Klosterlay Kabinett
Roger is German so I thought he’d appreciate this. Sweet, tasty, but maybe a touch one-dimensional (or maybe a little shutdown). B

2007 deux Montille “Boucheres” Meursault 1er
Good match with the lobster, good acids, mineral and pear, big but not ungainly. B+

2010 Parusso Barolo
Decanted about 2 hours before dinner. Red fruit, herby, lighter styled Nebbiolo, some tannin, easygoing. B

Saturday I walked to a friend’s house, three of us who were baching it had dinner on the deck. With home smoked trout, the 2009 Wind Gap “Gap’s Crown” Chardonnay. One of the better CA chards I’ve had in a while- no butter, only a faint hint of vanilla, good acids, bright and pure white pit fruits. Good length. B+/A-

With rotisserie chicken (hey, he gets a smoker and a rotisserie- not fair), corn, salad

2010 Beso di Vino - really not my style, jammy dark fruits, sweet, short, manipulated. C/C+

2010 Paitin “Serra” Barbaresco - modern, but well done, and without heavy oak, just a light glossy sense. Redder fruit, balanced acids, easy. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice.Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: back in NY, young Nebbiolo, Kabs, and more

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:the regular 2011 Coudert/Roillete Fleurie. Red fruits, lots of spicy notes, good long finish. I’ll drink these while waiting on theTardive. B+

I guess you're also not drinking the 2011 Griffe du Marquis? I only have two bottles left and have been debating whether/when to open.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:40 pm

I bought a small cache of 2011 Beaujolais just to get me through until the 2009 and 2010 develop a bit more.

Almost all 2009 Germans are pretty well shut down in my experience.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Thank you for the notes, Dale. I also had the Zilliken recently, and was quite pleased.

Have not had the Paitin Serra, but have generally been pleased with the rest of their range. Thus far, Parusso's wines are less familiar to me.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:17 am

Rahsaan wrote:I guess you're also not drinking the 2011 Griffe du Marquis? I only have two bottles left and have been debating whether/when to open.

I only have 1 bottle, waiting on you to give me the go ahead- you've got the extra! :)

Good to know re 09s, David.

Best thing about the Parusso was it was cheap.